Tannoy owners thread

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by BeerCan, Aug 4, 2015.

1. electra100

electra100 Super Member

@Hawkeye83 time to build some Westminster cabs! I think I have the plans laying around somewhere.

Hawkeye83 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Hawkeye83

Hawkeye83 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't have near the time or patience or woodworking skill or tools...or...or...that would be awesome though. My Dad's buddy is a professional woodworker though, maybe I can get him to do it. Just need a bigger house first.

3. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

My living room is small and yet I have "room" for a set of GRF's, which is the smallest of the folded-horn style cabinets. Definitely worth a consideration. The Tannoy repair place in Florida should have recone kits although at present they seem out of stock, and if you ever need someone to do that for you and / or the magnet degausses, then check in with Bon. He was the lead tech at Orange County Speaker for years and opened up his own shop when OCS closed up. Stellar outfit and a great guy to deal with. Bought one of my MG15's back to life after it lost a lot of its magnetism.

http://www.speakerrepairpros.com/

4. Hawkeye83

I was going to take an AK break for Lent but...ehhh...I'm giving up other things too, I will allow myself a little AK.

One of my Tannoys is MUCH quieter than the other. Here is my plan to address that, let me know if I'm missing anything.

plan:
    - swap speaker wires, see if low side follows or stays (speakers vs amp) - tried this, problem remains with the left speaker
    - swap the speakers themselves...see if problem might be PLACEMENT/room-related - doubtful, but worth a shot.
    - possibly try different speaker wires - one of my connections is slightly looser
    - re-do speaker extension with crimp instead of wire nuts - when I put new binding posts on the speakers, I used wire nuts to extend the length of the internal wiring in the speakers; it's possible I have a bad connection? Anyway, I will feel better to re-do with crimp connectors
    - remove speakers and test resistance to ensure they match - photograph it! - might as well check while they're out!
    - remove speaker crossover/controls and clean with deoxit - reinstall and test - I think this is most likely, since the controls on one of the speakers was scratchy. I did spray both with deoxit, while still inside the cabinet. I don't detect anymore scratchiness, but I think I should just remove the controls and make sure I get a good spray of deoxit where it needs to go
    - if no improvement, rebuild crossovers (re-cap)
    - if no improvement, have speakers re-coned or buy preamp with level/balance controls

5. Hawkeye83

Pretty sure things are fixed. Found a bad solder joint at spade connectors on crossover. Took care of that. No scientific testing yet, but the levels seem pretty evenly matched now between the two speakers. The left one was about 2/3 volume of the right one, and very little bass. Much better now!

6. royzilla

royzilla Active Member

Well, I was seating a few weeks ago wishing I had my old Tannoy Ardens to try with some different gear. All the sudden my British sixth sense began to tingle and turned out these were 5 minutes from me.

I hadn’t introduced them to the family yet so here we are. Anyone have experience matching amps to Tannoy Reds? I’d love to know. The Lancaster cabs are extra minty.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

7. moebuster

moebuster AK Subscriber Subscriber

Devon’s here.

Attached Files:

Hawkeye83 likes this.
  8. Hawkeye83

Any owners of large Tannoy - ever put casters on your speakers? Mine have these metal insert "feet"...I'm wondering if I need to remove those to install casters?

Or, is there such thing as a magnetic caster that would "stick" to those metal feet?

Or, should I try to leave the existing feet and install the casters by using screws in two places on each caster? Would that be enough?

Or, I could build sort of a bigger "block"/foot in each corner of the speaker, giving more area to sit on the caster and more places to add screws (should be able to use all 4 screws for each caster then).

Hopefully any/all of these questions make sense. Just wondering if there is an accepted/established ways to add casters to the larger, legacy Tannoys.

Will post a pic if it helps.

Also, is there a larger Tannoy owners group out there? Any that y'all frequent?

9. moebuster

moebuster AK Subscriber Subscriber

Are the bottoms finished like the top and sides?
    Why big use the carpet covered harbor freight Dolly’s?

10. Hawkeye83

Thanks, that is certainly an option. I guess I prefer the casters to be directly attached to the speakers...aesthetics I guess. Maybe it would look okay on the harbor freight dollies though.

I will post a pic of the bottom. On mine anyway, the bottom is not finished, there is a lower black "frame" which the finished part of the speaker sits on. The frame has the metal "feet" attached. I had also thought about removing the black frame and attaching the casters directly to the cabinet.