Tape Dropout's on Maxell Tape?

Keith H

Last night i recorded a couple Kansas CD's on a New in wrapper NOS 1989 Maxell MX-S 90 Metal cassette,Kansas Leftoverture went on side A and Point of know return on side B.When recording on my 3 Head JVC TD-V621 Leftoverture on side A sounded perfect but when recording Point of know return on side B it sounded horrible,The high end would fade in and out and generally sounded bad.Has anyone had bad luck with dropout's on Maxell cassette's?Today i Re-recorded the two Kansas CD's on an older NOS new in wrapper 1986 TDK MA-X 90 and everthing came out perfect on both side's. Thanks for any of your experiences,Keith.

Yup. I had nothing but bad luck with Maxells due to countless audible dropouts and oxide shedding to the point that after just a handful of tapes back in the late 70's, I tossed them without one shred of regret and never looked back. I've used TDK, Sony, Fuji and Philips with excellent results. Maxells sounded lousy as well.

Maxell videotapes caused me to have to clean my VCR heads on a weekly basis until I switched to... anything else. The blue streaks caused by dropouts showed up consistently for Maxell and no other brand.

I refuse to use Maxell for any purpose even if you paid me.. :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

Tom

Last edited:
Surprised by that! The Maxell tapes I have are fine. Those are the one's I offered to you Keith. For me, TDK Audua reel to reel tape was the issue. I bought them in 1976. They became know for oxide shed problems. The Maxell UD 35-90 never had that problem.
Back to cassettes. The Maxell tapes had, IMO, a very good run. I've noticed on all brands that casettes coould sound good on one side and muffeled on the other. That's the nature of cassettes, I guess. Too dependant on the cassette shell.

Ron

Sounds like a shedding problem? Did you clean the heads between turning the tape over?

Just because they are NOS in-the-wrapper, that does not qualify their quality so to speak. I tend to shy away from old tapes. Tape Decks are finnicky things at the best of times.

The only old tapes I use these days are my reel tapes and they are different altogether.

Your problem is not likely to be the tape. It sounds like your tape is swimming around on the head(s). What your probably have is a glazed/hard/dirty pinch roller. Give it a good cleaning with MG Chemicals, "Rubber Renue". That might bring you back up to speed.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom