Tark's system

Pentotark

Hi, I wanted to show to AK community my system to get some feedback and precious advices on how I can improve it.

20180115_165644.jpg 20180115_165627.jpg

The speakers are a beautiful pair of Marantz Imperial 6 I found a while ago at a thrift store. I took care of them and made a pair of wooden stands a while ago.
I love the sound of it, especially from digital sources such as my CD collection or high quality files. When it comes to vinyl there is something a bit off, the overall sound is not as deep and wide as from CD. I lack the technical term to describe it, I would say "sound stage" but I am not sure this is the correct term to describe what I mean. I was wondering what I could do to get a richer sound out of my vinyls. This is my main complain but really I am open to any comment or feedback about the entire setup and what in your opinion is easily upgradeable in the future. =)

I think I would look into AT carts. They are usually a pretty good value. Someone here I’m sure will chime in as to which to choose. I don’t have any experience with your TT, but I’m sure others here are

Kudos for speaker placement - I just smile when I see speakers crammed against a three foot wide cabinet.

Both cartridge and phono pre are modest. Gradual upgrades of each should improve things. Even at vinyl's best, you'll never match the separation of a digital source.

Kudos for speaker placement - I just smile when I see speakers crammed against a three foot wide cabinet.

Both cartridge and phono pre are modest. Gradual upgrades of each should improve things. Even at vinyl's best, you'll never match the separation of a digital source.
What would be an upgrade for both stylus and pre-amp in your opinion?

I have an Ortofon Bronze and am very pleased. After several phono preamps .... my Clearaudio Nano V2 was an eye opener, plus it has a gain control along with mm/mc settings ... has been able to adjust to numerous cartridges .... and always able to volume control match close to line level .... so no huge difference in volume between sources!

I think I would look into AT carts. They are usually a pretty good value. Someone here I’m sure will chime in as to which to choose. I don’t have any experience with your TT, but I’m sure others here are
I tried an AT95E a while ago because it was on sale on amazon but it sounded a bit weird compared to the OM 10. Later on someone explained to me that since the arm on my Pro-Ject turntable is lo light it likes high compliance cartridges and the AT95E doesn't quite hit that spot.
So I am a bit scared of AT.

I have an Ortofon Bronze and am very pleased.
I found one used for 99 euros (around 120 USD) do you think it is a good deal?
After several phono preamps .... my Clearaudio Nano V2 was an eye opener, plus it has a gain control along with mm/mc settings ... has been able to adjust to numerous cartridges .... and always able to volume control match close to line level .... so no huge difference in volume between sources!
Thanks for the feedback I will check that out. =)

Last edited:
I was thinking so! Someone in my country is selling a slightly used ortofon 2M Bronze for 99 Euros, might worth get it?

Yes, that 2M Bronze is definitely worth it. I've had many carts over the years, including several AT carts and a TOTL Signet. The 2M Bronze is right up there with them, if not slightly better. It's an amazing sounding cart for the price. It's the cart I'm running currently and loving it!

Hi friends!

I am looking for a tube stereo amplifier that fits well with my setup (picture and details on first post, upgraded to a Grado Prestige black turntable cartridge). As you can see this is not a high end system but I like it so far and was curious about hearing the difference with tubes.
Looking forward to listen to your advice =)

Nice system! No recomendations from me on tube amps. I'm looking to make the jump to tubes as well. Good luck in your search!

Back
Top Bottom