Tarnished Fisher brass knobs: what is best to polish them?

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by monkboughtlunch, May 1, 2017.

1. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

I usually take a qt measuring cup and fill with HOT WATER straight fro the tap, and add a Cascade or FINISH dishwasher capsule, and drop all of it in after the capsule dissolves and you mix it up. Let soak for 15-20 minutes, Rinse in HOT WATER and use a small brush to get the grains of the detergent that hasn't dissolved, out of the grooves. The wash water will be a dark brown from the nicotine, and breakdown of the dyes of the knobs (no UV protection). Then polish with Mothers Mag polish and a Dremel. The crud is washed off but the brass parts still need polishing.

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Super Member

What brand/type of glue should be used to adhere the caps to the knobs?

3. larryderouin

A thicker glue or adhesive, 2 part epoxy, gorilla glue, Silicon RTV (Clear), contact cement, etc. Don't use superglue as it doesn't have the torsional strength. I use a dot of Silicone RTV. A SMALL DOT! or it will ooze out everywhere.

4. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

Agree with the comments to not use Emery cloth or similar. Even the finest is going to leave an irregular pattern. Easiest way is to apply metal polish of choice to your soft cloth on a flat surface and run the knob (or removed cap) back and forth (circular motion) until polished to your satisfaction.

5. Rob Thomas

Rob Thomas AK Subscriber Subscriber

6. monkboughtlunch

What are thoughts on using Loctite?

7. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

That is a superglue as well (in my experience) and I agree that it may not be the best of choices as a knock could cause the glue to 'fracture' and the cap to fly off. I have used contact cement as Larry suggests with good results on these. Sure you could use epoxy but likely you'll never get the darn thing off again should you need/want to. The contact cement held well and I have little doubt I could remove it again if necessary and clean off the residual glue easily.

8. monkboughtlunch

Do you spray with laquer after the Mag polish? If so, what brand of laquer?

9. larryderouin

No lacquer. Just re-polish yearly or when your taste dictates. You should be able to go about 3-4 years before it gets bad. you can wax them with straight carnauba wax after polishing which will help keep them shiny. No cleaner wax. Johnsons or Butcher's paste wax is fine.

bolero likes this.
  10. monkboughtlunch

Tried the Mothers polish on one of my knobs that had bad tarnish spots. It removed most the tarnish. But the result is that the center portion of the top cap has a highly reflective mirror like finish, while the outer portion of the top cap still has the original brushed look. How can I now return the look of the top cap to "stock?"

It seems like the originals were more brushed and not highly reflective.

In the photo below you see the lens of the smartphone reflected in the mirror like finish while just outside of that area is the original brushed look. My other end caps are not tarnished so I'd like to be able to just fix this one and not mess with the others to make the match.

IMG_4842 (1).jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  11. monkboughtlunch

Here's a better view of the polished knob in relation to the other knobs. The knob with the arrow had some bad tarnish spots (which the other knobs did not) and it was polished with Mother's Mag polish that was recommended by others earlier in this thread.

Mother's Mag did remove the tarnish -- but the center became super shiny -- almost mirror like. It is now visually inconsistent with the other knobs.

Now that the tarnish on that knob is removed, is there a way to return the brass cap it to it's original appearance so it's consistent with the other brass knob caps on the receiver?

mothersmag.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  12. thomo57

thomo57 Super Member

Some sort of matt laquer possibly

13. audmod01

audmod01 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had an old can of Brasso from the early 1960s and it had a petroleum base rather than using ammonia. I believe it was mostly an abrasive as it wore down through any lacquer finish over brass that was not corroded. We were expected to remove the protective lacquer from belt buckles and polish the brass even though it never looked as good as it did with the lacquer on it to begin with - go figure! I bought a plastic bottle of Brasso recently to use on some brass door pulls of a cabinet I was working on. It was a very slow go. I finally brought out a container of Turtle Chrome Polish and it worked faster for me even on brass.

As someone mentioned above, the ammonia smell of the current Brasso product is rather strong. It also really messes with a person's skin, so impervious gloves are a good idea.

Joe

14. Trojan4Life

Trojan4Life Active Member

Did you do that with polish and the knob mounted in a drill? That's what it looks like.

Get some 1000 grit sandpaper, use a little oil and mount it in the drill press, or however you mounted it before. Start from the center with the sandpaper and slowly go from the center to the outside of the knob with sandpaper and oil. That will take away the mirror finish. You can polish the other knobs to look the same.

I made this fixture from a piece of .250" diameter brass:

One end has a flat milled for the one piece knobs like this on the right-
    Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 2.27.38 PM.png
    The other end (shown below on the right), for the two piece knobs has a .190" diameter x .200" long, then .175" x .500" long diameter with a .025" flat.

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 2.28.00 PM.png

The brass piece is placed in the lathe, knobs pressed onto the brass piece and polished. You can use a chopstick and X-Acto knife and cut to size, place the chopstick into a drill and do the same thing. Or put it in a drill/driver like so:

drill.jpg

Don't polish your knobs on top of your amplifier and this photo is shown with a Marantz knob.

15. Trojan4Life

Trojan4Life Active Member

One of these belt buckles? Semper Fidelis!

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 2.57.32 PM.png

16. larryderouin

Yeah. Those Utilities buckles too.

Trojan4Life likes this.