Tascam CD-RW750

Terry73178

I use this cd recorder to record our messages at church and it also plays the music before and after church.

I have a tascam cdrw750 that has started giving a disc error message everytime i put in a disk, also last night when i went to record the message last night at church it only recorded static.\\

does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it a CD-RW disc?
Have you refreshed it?
Tried a different new disc?
Somebody play with the settings?
Loose connections?

Have you been using the same procedure and no problems before?

Here's where you can download the manual if you don't have one.
http://tascam.com/product/cd-rw750/downloads/

Last edited:
We had two CD-RW750s. One developed disc error problems and was sent back to some repair facility, within 2 years of purchase. "Unrepairable" was the verdict, and boy was I glad to have bought the 2 yr gold protection from Musicians Friend, as they totally refunded the purchase price !
Replaced with an ebay TEAC dual deck that has playback side flaky, but the record side works fine (with Music CD-Rs), and bought a bunch of other stuff with the rest of the money.
The other CD-RW750 is soldiering on just fine, 4 or 5 years on now, used several times a week. So, you never know....
It is very happy with Sony branded blanks from Costco, as the duplicator we had previously liked these discs and not the cheapies from Staples. I think the new duper does not care, but I still buy the bricks from Costco.

My Tascam CD-RW 750 at home is now 6 years old. No trouble even once. And it gets a lot of use. What kind of blank media do you use in it? I use Taiyo Yuden, MAM-A, or Maxell media in mine with no trouble. And it gets a lot more use than churches put on them. And my CD-RW 700, CD-RW 750, CD-RW 900 and CD-RW 900 SL units I care for in broadcast use have been reliable. Only one of my units ever had issues (the laser was truly worn out, a new drive and it's still in daily use recording satellite feeds for later playback.). So, not my experience. Use quality discs in it, don't cheap out.

I am using CD-R's We order them from a local media place. We ran a disk cleaner and used an Air Can to clean it out some and it is working better. I believe it just needed to be cleaned.

My Tascam CD-RW 750 at home is now 6 years old. No trouble even once. And it gets a lot of use. What kind of blank media do you use in it? I use Taiyo Yuden, MAM-A, or Maxell media in mine with no trouble. And it gets a lot more use than churches put on them. And my CD-RW 700, CD-RW 750, CD-RW 900 and CD-RW 900 SL units I care for in broadcast use have been reliable. Only one of my units ever had issues (the laser was truly worn out, a new drive and it's still in daily use recording satellite feeds for later playback.). So, not my experience. Use quality discs in it, don't cheap out.

Are the laser & drive mechanisms easily replaceable in most audio CD recorders? I have a Pioneer PDR-W739 that I bought new at Best Buy in November 2000 that has served well for all of that time. I have no clue on the longevity of the "innards", but the build quality & features of this unit are so good I'd want to keep it going. Never had a problem with it. I also have a Sony RC-W1 & a Sony RC-W500C(2002 & 2005 models respectively) that also function as new. I was eyeing the Teac CD-RW890 & Tascam CD-RW901SL sold at J&R Music with interest as replacements when problems develop with any of my "vintage" audio CD recorders. The prices on these type of units have dropped considerably since I bought my recorders. Time perfected technology I suppose, such as CRT color TVs were before flatscreen TVs took over. But if my Pioneer & Sonys can be kept going & going, well, that'd be a GOOD thing.

Are the laser & drive mechanisms easily replaceable in most audio CD recorders? I have a Pioneer PDR-W739 that I bought new at Best Buy in November 2000 that has served well for all of that time. I have no clue on the longevity of the "innards", but the build quality & features of this unit are so good I'd want to keep it going. Never had a problem with it. I also have a Sony RC-W1 & a Sony RC-W500C(2002 & 2005 models respectively) that also function as new. I was eyeing the Teac CD-RW890 & Tascam CD-RW901SL sold at J&R Music with interest as replacements when problems develop with any of my "vintage" audio CD recorders. The prices on these type of units have dropped considerably since I bought my recorders. Time perfected technology I suppose, such as CRT color TVs were before flatscreen TVs took over. But if my Pioneer & Sonys can be kept going & going, well, that'd be a GOOD thing.

I bet it depends on the unit, and if parts are still available. You would also need to be handy, or find a good tech that knows about them.
I know I had a bunch of trouble with Pioneer recorders of that vintage, and the local authorized techs were clueless about them. It didn't get any better when one of them was shipped to Pioneer Canada.
I ended up getting a Yamaha as a warranty replacement. The local Yamaha tech and the Yamaha Canada techs were just as clueless as the Pioneer ones. They never did fix the problem. Thankfully it was simple enough that I ended up fixing it myself.
Like you, I would very happy if my Yamaha kept on working forever. I'm really happy with it. I'm sure what route I would go if it ever died.

if all else fails, TEAC in Montebello, California (the parent company of tascam) services these units at reasonable prices.

http://www.teac.com/support/

my friend recently had issues with a tascam and was quite satisfied with the service afforded him.

The advantage of Tascams are the ability to use data CD-Rs. I also have no problem recommending J&R Music. I bought a cd player from them and it was shipped promptly.

Hello Terry,
These CDRW models all need new mechanism now and then and it has been my experience when the need arises to have Russ at New Jersey Factory Service do the job as he was more reasonable than anyone else that actually knows what they are doing. I had a number of units sent to him as Chief Engineer of a radio station and he accomplished the task. In fact I can remember three Chief Engineer jobs that I used his service at.
The lens can take up a mask due to the electrostatic charge of a plastic lens, these need to be cleaned now and then. It is suggested that you use a mild solution for this job- I have used Windex with a cotton swab and made sure to remove the excess. That is only if you can get to the Pickup. Many times you must take the unit apart just to get that far. In that case you might as well regrease the slide rails and worm gear and make sure the mechanics are in good shape. Skipping occurs when the sled motor can not move the small increment that it needs to move and that can be caused by a bad motor stator, hardened up grease and lack of oil in the slide rails. Of course a Linear skate sled is the preferred type of mechanism and they last longer due to no dead spots on sled motors- they are driven by coils.

Back
Top Bottom