Tascam lost high frequency response

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Bertoli, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Bertoli

Bertoli New Member

About my Tascam 112 MK II cassete deck.: no high frequency response. changed the head, no results.Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Chip Chester

Chip Chester Super Member

Different tapes, ages and types?
    Bias correct? (Not just the switch, but the actual circuit.)

3. Bertoli

Bertoli New Member

Dear Chip: Thank you for your help. I have ruled out the head, sadly I don't have the skills for a circuit test, . the deck was never opened or worked on, and here in Lima Peru, technicians shy away from older equipments, perhaps another part may be the cause? anyway I will look for someone to test the bias, switch seems to be ok. B

4. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

dirty heads.
    magnetized heads.
    head alignment.

-- the most common culprits, IMO/IME for degradation of HF on playback of a previously good sounding tape..

Of course, I/we don't know if you're talking record, playback or both.
    Tape made on another deck OK on the TASCAM ('now')?
    Tape made on the TASCAM ('now') OK on another deck?

Does the TASCAM have Dolby, dBx or other NR? If so, does it have HF issues with the NR on, off, or both?

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  5. mhardy6647

mhardy6647 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Oh. One more thought.

Tape tension (more to the point, the "intimacy", so to speak, of contact between tape & head) can be important for wide frequency response.

I LIKE MUSIC likes this.
  6. kfalls

kfalls Super Member

Did you have the proper equipment to re-align the head (tracking, tilt, wrap, azimuth)? I use a WHS-300 gage from Willy Herman Services. For archiving we have to adjust the azimuth for every tape we digitize which causes the tracking to go out of alignment. The guide allows for quick checking and adjustment. I also use alignment tapes from Genlabs for level, azimuth, and frequency response. Also, have you checked your noise reduction buttons? They will make the tape sound different if you've not had it on before.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Bertoli

Bertoli New Member

Dear MHardy: Thank you for your advice. The deck has Dolby NR, when I put this in the on position, the high frequency diminishes even more. I am using the same tape that sounded superb in this deck. Will try making a recording and try it in this and other equipment.