TD 124 arm board question

GP Hill

i want to try a couple of new arm boards for my TD 124 and would welcome some suggestions. Right now it has a solid wood, either maple or poplar, and it resonates more than I would like. I have an M2-9 SME tone arm and a new Art 9 AT cartridge. I was thinking about something layered. Any suggestions?

i want to try a couple of new arm boards for my TD 124 and would welcome some suggestions. Right now it has a solid wood, either maple or poplar, and it resonates more than I would like. I have an M2-9 SME tone arm and a new Art 9 AT cartridge. I was thinking about something layered. Any suggestions?
layer it with flashing lead. try to isolate where it mounts to the table, to where the arm mounts to it. break up the energy path from plinth to arm

I asume your new armboard could be thicker and still attached by countersinking or using a longer fastener?

This would both reduce the pillar height and increase the material options if a manufactured layered
option is available.

layer it with flashing lead. try to isolate where it mounts to the table, to where the arm mounts to it. break up the energy path from plinth to arm
Thanks Marc. I have some neoprene washers between the board and the turntable chassis now. Might try some lead on the bottom of the board or maybe some dynamat.

Does anyone have experience with a layered composite arm board?

I bought mine from eBay seller "vassisuali," based in Estonia.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-...247437?hash=item2a79645ecd:g:QnUAAOSwbYZXYTjn

For sale Thorens 124 custom ash armboards. They are made of 3 layers of different density ash pieces. Inner layer fibers are rotated for 90 degrees to increase stiffness of the structure and heterogeneity of the material. This makes the board less resonant. I can fit mounting holes for any tonearm you want. Also for your choice the outer layer - I can do ash, oak or beech. A really good upgrade for Thorens TD124 turntable.

The price incluses the board with mounting hole for 9" tonearm of your interest, and finishing with either lacquer or natural oil.
Different options are available - please just contact me, we can discuss the details.

Armboards for 12" tonearms are available as well, please check my listings.

I had him leave mine unfinished (with oak on top), and I shellacked it to match my homemade plinth. The quality is top-notch.

G5IXg3h.jpg

Jeg9omt.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking about something layered. Any suggestions?

layer it with flashing lead.

Does anyone have experience with a layered composite arm board?

Yes, SOTA uses layered arm boards for their upgraded boards.
They Have
WOOD - Laminated MDF board <stock 1/2 inch arm board.
COMPOSITE - Multiple layers of acrylic and one layer of aluminum
COSMOS - Multiple layers of acrylic and lead, one layer of aluminum

Right now it has a solid wood, either maple or poplar,
Well musical instruments use solid maple, but you want them to resinate which is the opposite you want a arm board to do. Unless the wood is very dense, solid is not the best choice IMHO. But coupling the arm to it by removing the grommets will help and have the effect of layering the board with metal.

Here is a few things you could try, Veneered MDF in the thickness you need, 1/4, 3/16, 3/8, 1/2 and so forth and a wide variety of wood. You could also remove your rubber grommets and couple the arm solidly to the board you have now to try it.

Last edited:
I don't have the rubber grommets anymore but the silicone ones.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-...247437?hash=item2a79645ecd:g:QnUAAOSwbYZXYTjn

For sale Thorens 124 custom ash armboards. They are made of 3 layers of different density ash pieces. Inner layer fibers are rotated for 90 degrees to increase stiffness of the structure and heterogeneity of the material. This makes the board less resonant. I can fit mounting holes for any tonearm you want. Also for your choice the outer layer - I can do ash, oak or beech. A really good upgrade for Thorens TD124 turntable.

The price incluses the board with mounting hole for 9" tonearm of your interest, and finishing with either lacquer or natural oil.
Different options are available - please just contact me, we can discuss the details.

I had him leave mine unfinished (with oak on top), and I shellacked it to match my homemade plinth. The quality is top-notch.

G5IXg3h.jpg

Jeg9omt.jpg
Looks like a nice one to try.

I read about someone using some lowes washers to isolate the armboard on a 124. Bought some and tried. There was an immediately noticeable difference - to the negative. Smeared the sound and lost a lot of detail. I've not tried it again. I'm using Jim Campbell's walnut arm boards. Nice and dense. I've been very happy with them.

G5IXg3h.jpg

Jeg9omt.jpg
Just ordered one from your guy in Estonia.

Back
Top Bottom