TDL Electronics Owners Thread

Discussion in 'British Audio' started by SimplySound, Jul 11, 2014.

1. geoffs2fishi

geoffs2fishi New Member

Also if any one wants to sell a pair of reference standard M version i have cash waiting I have owned two pairs over the years but sold years ago and now would like another pair

2. geoffs2fishi

geoffs2fishi New Member

3. geoffs2fishi

geoffs2fishi New Member

You can see the difference between the M version and the original in these photos original is black Mversion in Oak

4. geoffs2fishi

geoffs2fishi New Member

5. geoffs2fishi

geoffs2fishi New Member

How you getting on with the reference standards do you still have them?

6. c-atle-79bay

c-atle-79bay Super Member

Nope lost the battle on those, they were affectionately deemed granny coffins, it went down hill from there.

7. geoffs2fishi

geoffs2fishi New Member

That's a shame could have helped you sort them out I know those speakers like the back of my hand did you sell them then??

8. c-atle-79bay

c-atle-79bay Super Member

Yup, sold to a Seattle area TDL Reference Standard collector. They are in a very good home now.

9. palsapal

palsapal Active Member

Disintegration of the foam port inserts with TDL RTL2s seem to be a common problem (& probably the same with others in the range). Does anybody know the type of foam that was used, & ideally a source?

Strangely the inserts have gone completely on one speaker - not the other. I don't want to touch the other one just in case it takes offense & breaks down to crumb. Assume it spent less time in the sun :-(

I've generated a template in CorelDraw & need some 10mm thick sheet to (hopefully) cut out replacements.

Attached Files:

10. palsapal

palsapal Active Member

Found a source of 10mm thick reticulated foam which is sold for facing speakers - so it's acoustically transparent. £5 for a 320mm x 220mm piece.

Used the template to cut out a relatively "square" piece & then cut the radius corners to suit. I'm happy with the results. Not perfect - better if the template was a piece of plywood - but at foot level, they look OK cosmetically.

upload_2017-9-2_13-29-27.png

11. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Member

12. geoffs2fishi

geoffs2fishi New Member

Hi that is a B&W 802 matrix series 2

13. cpt_paranoia

cpt_paranoia Member

Thanks. Spotted a pair at the weekend, in amongst a huge pile of other stuff I didn't recognise...

14. travellersol

travellersol Active Member

Hi, I have a same pair of RTL2s with the same rotten foam issue. I'd like to know if it affects the sound or not with or without the filler?

And, it is funny that my RTL2s ports are rectangular in shape, different from what's shown on your photo......
    [​IMG]

15. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer New Member

Hi all,

I've done a bit of experimenting on my RSPM Mk IV factory "Improveds", in other words "P" prefixed serial numbers that had the Reticulated foam inserts installed in the ports from the factory and I replaced them due to the dreaded foam rot. Honestly I feel that the foam chokes the enclosures and they sound better without. I sourced some 20 grade which is the coarsest grade that's made and all I can say is they improve the looks but not the sound.

16. palsapal

palsapal Active Member

Strangely, only one of the foam inserts broke down & I didn't want to disturb the (glued-in) other one. So, I've never been able to listen to the speakers with/without inserts. I've not been able to detect any difference to the sound since replacing the second insert.

The foam I used was very open, like the foam that it replaced, & was described as specifically for speakers grills. Not sure what "20 grade" is in the previous post. Assume it must be density.

BTW, the speaker grills on yours look to be almost full height (except the ports) whereas mine are the upper 60% (approx). The plinths are different as well.

travellersol likes this.
  17. travellersol

travellersol Active Member

a further search shows yours as a "RTL2 Special Edition":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. IMF_Pioneer

IMF_Pioneer New Member

The 20 is most certainly the density grading. 20 is the coarsest you can get in reticulated foam. It is used for speaker facings and also air conditioner filter inserts.

It goes up in numbers of ten, so there is 20 (being the most open), 30, 40 and 50 (being the densest) if my memory serves me correctly.