TDL Reference Standard Repairs

On the tweeters, you might consider the smaller faceplate versions of the Celestion HF2000 (used on the typical places), the small IMF/Elac supertweeter from like the IMF SACM or RSPM Mk. VII (Fairly rare as you're finding out) or replacements like the Coles 4001K (but bigger faceplate). The very small mounting area where the supertweeters are will make replacements difficult to fit.

I'm pondering covering up the super tweeters and using ESS heil elites on top for a stop gap and might be and interesting effect with them on top of the speaker.

The diaphragms are for the 2 tweeters, which mine while bunged do still sound good with no resonance from the crack.....that said I should likely grab 4 and prep for a rainy day. They are 4 ohm and the selling indicated I could run them in series to present an 8 ohm load at the crossover. They are presently run parallel, although I could not tell, it seemed like all wires went back into the cabinet and not chained to each other, will have to look again, but I am assuming the seller knows his way around this speaker pretty well.

The super tweeter is a different matter. And falcon was basically like good luck with that as my best option....I think as mech says the HF2000 is my most promising source of a replacement, heck there is even one local to me now that looks like it would pop right in, but I have to get out the old one, and that is not an easy task with my bear paw hands, to figure out it's impedance..... There is also a SEAS 19TFF1 H0737
replacement recommended in place of the HF2000 by falcon.....but then if this one why not another? But overall I think your right audiomagnate orgininal or as close to is the best route.

The one thing about the HF2000 is that they tend to be fragile, so even good used units might be a long term crapshoot. Finding a small faceplate version isn't very easy either. The SEAS TFF is probably the best new replacement simply because its not terribly expensive, and may fit reasonably well without looking too far out of place. Sure, there's a lot of other units that could function as a supertweeter, but you might have to do a lot of testing and comparisons.

I'm a little surprised about the non-recommendation of the Coles supertweeters, but they are larger faceplates too.

First, belated thanks for the DHS Speakers recommendation. I have had one 16 ohm unit repaired. Two more are on their way to Saginaw now.

I have a list of IMF and TDL drivers, but the RSTL Type M drivers are not included. Does anyone know what these drivers' model numbers are? The type M mids and tweeters were a sonic upgrade.

I like my RSTL-s. They create a very nice 3-D image. I have heard many systems, including a $500k system, and prefer mine to everything else.

Interesting to learn that there is another working pair of RSTL's in Seattle.

What was wrong with your 16ohm? I have made no movement, other than discovering I'd been shorting out one of my supertweeeters..... much better now, next year will send off the woofer or do local and order parts, if he will sell them to the local repair person.

The small wires running from the terminals visibly were tarnished. The corrosion causes the leads to fail. I have two 20 year old 8 ohm motor units. They show no tarnishing. For some reason my experience is that only the 16 ohm units succumb to the tarnishing.

If you ever want to upgrade the tweeters, you could try the Scanspeak D2904-9800. They are 8 ohm units, so some slight XO adjustments will be necessary. They should bolt right on to the 12 X 9 faceplates. Wilmslow Audio has them for sale.

Keeping the cabinets cosmetically original should preserve the speakers' value. A knowledgeable source once said that the super tweeters were very inexpensive units. Almost any replacement unit is bound to be better sonically.

I wonder if some of the Vintage Audax hard or metal dome tweeters with the same 12x9 faceplate wouldn't also be good tweeter replacements?

Thanks for the additional info TLS80, fyi my TDL's replaced a set of IMF "The Studio", but man are the different beasts. For what ever reason, likely inexperience and time, I'm shy of solutions that require crossover repair or mods to how the speakers are wired...likely silly on my part and counter productive, but given that I don't even have time to get 1 woofer out justified. I'm still leaning towards 4 of the units from Saginaw and running them in series vs parallel as recommended by the guy in Saginaw. But for now all is working well, if not optimal because of the re-re-smoothed domes and the one dead woofer, which based on them running 8/16 ohm is likely my most significant issue.

Another option for super tweeter replacement I've toyed with is this guy: http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-amt-mini-8-air-motion-transformer-tweeter-8-ohm--275-095 inexpensive, but goes to 40k

I was also going to add I've had a few chances to push these with a modern amp, HK990, and wow do they get loud and keep sounding clear and controlled, not certain if the speakers or a good amp, that is NOT in need of a re-cap/build/etc., or both, but certainly one of the best sounding setups at volume I've had yet.

Last edited:
Apologies for the late reply. In response to mech 986, Yes the tweeters from the TLS 50 should work well. Used to own a pair of '50's and miss them.

There is a pair of TDL Monitors for sale now at USAudiomart. The owner replaced the metal dome 25DT22 with a Hiquphon OW1 and was pleased with the result. The OW1 can be mounted on the 12 x 9 faceplates. Some XO reworking was necessary to match the OW1.

If one of your woofers is dead, the speakers might not sound as full as possible. On most material bass is quite present, almost "enveloping." I have 3 spare 16 ohm woofers. If your failed driver is the 16 ohm driver, you can borrow one of mine until you get yours repaired, if that would help. I'll reply more promptly going forward. Glad you like the RSTL's.

Hi All, I picked up a set of TDL reference standards, and despite how good they sound I do have some issues that are going to need corrected to make them perfect.

Hi there, I have just come across your interesting thread. I hope that you managed to repair and keep your TDL Reference Standard speakers as original as possible. I also own a pair of these very fine speakers and had to repair most of the bass drivers. I found that the wire running from the voice coil were broken on the voice coil former. In my case the problem was not the lead out braid wires, even though they were very corroded. Even though I had them repaired by a company in England, I had to repair one of them myself as it stopped working. I took the driver apart and had to buy a replacement spider from the USA. Since then, by chance I managed to find a drive on eBay auction (Germany) which was the impedance I was looking for. I never had any problems with the over drivers (so far!). Hopefully by now you are enjoying them as much as I do. Rodney.

Hi All, I picked up a set of TDL reference standards, and despite how good they sound I do have some issues that are going to need corrected to make them perfect.

Hi there, I have just come across your interesting thread. I hope that you managed to repair and keep your TDL Reference Standard speakers as original as possible. I also own a pair of these very fine speakers and had to repair most of the bass drivers. I found that the wire running from the voice coil were broken on the voice coil former. In my case the problem was not the lead out braid wires, even though they were very corroded. Even though I had them repaired by a company in England, I had to repair one of them myself as it stopped working. I took the driver apart and had to buy a replacement spider from the USA. Since then, by chance I managed to find a drive on eBay auction (Germany) which was the impedance I was looking for. I never had any problems with the over drivers (so far!). Hopefully by now you are enjoying them as much as I do. Rodney.

Hi,

About a week ago I was given (for free) a pair of TDL Reference Standard TL speakers. Cabinet and grills are in almost pristine condition but all woofers and some of the midrange drivers require replacement (scratching coils) but its been impossible to source replacements either Falcon Acoustics, Wilmslow Audio, or Lockwood Audio. Originally I thought drivers were KEFs B139s and B110s but later found out they were sourced by ELAC, and similar drivers with different impedances are used.

Any advise will be appreciated since I'm not too keen on letting these pair rot in a landfill.

There is an eBay seller in Saginaw Michigan that is experienced inthse drivers, but I can’t find his email. Here is his eBay name dschuette

It might be possible to repair the drivers you have. I assume you've rotated them 180 degrees just in case the problem is cone sag. If not, I had Meniscus handle the repairs on a Dahlquist tweeter (a Magnat?) which required rewinding the vc or something rather like it. They might be able to help.

There is an eBay seller in Saginaw Michigan that is experienced inthse drivers, but I can’t find his email. Here is his eBay name dschuette

Hi! Yes, David Schuette. He has already contacted me and I'll be sending pics and information about the drivers for he may have replacements and or be able to repair!

Hi,

After thoughtful thinking, and a two-minute warning from SWMBO, I've decided not to pursue with the TDL Reference Standard repair/refurbish project. If anyone is interested in the speakers please send me a message. Keep in mind these are in Puerto Rico and shipping cost may be high. If no interest requests are received they are going to be dumped in the nearest landfill by end-of-month. :'(

Back
Top Bottom