TDL Studio 1

Studio One

TDL Studio 1 165.JPG TDL Studio 1.jpg Hi all

I just bought a pair of Studio 1s with no mid/bass drivers
Online research stated they were 165mm drivers and a chat with Wilmslow Audio confirmed this
They recommended Monacor SPH 165s as proven replacements
Unfortunately now i have the cabs in my possession they actually have 185mm cutouts
Was this something TDL changed ? or has a previous owner modified the cabs
My question is do I try to source a suitable 185mm like the Monacor SPH 170 or SPH 170C or do i try to make a blanking plate and re cut them to 165mm ?
Both of these are TDL Studio Ones mine are the version on the right where as i ordered drivers for the version on the left oops
Regards

Alan

Last edited:
The diameter of a driver is not necessarily the cutout diameter. It may actually fit the 165 Monacor? What does Monaco say the frame edge to edge diameter is?

The diameter of a driver is not necessarily the cutout diameter. It may actually fit the 165 Monacor? What does Monaco say the frame edge to edge diameter is?
Monaco 165 frame edge to edge is 165mm The outer routing of cabinet is 185mm and actual cutout is 150mm

Remember, Monacor is a suggested replacement for sound not fit. The original drivers were made by Elac.

Remember, Monacor is a suggested replacement for sound not fit. The original drivers were made by Elac.
I realise that, but even Falcon Acoustics and Wilmslow Audio who have repaired and supplied replacement drivers for many TDL Speakers recommended the Monacor SPH 165 which they have used to good effect so I am concerned that mine may have been DIYed and I was annoyed because I ordered replacement drivers in advance before I picked the cabinets up, to discover my cut outs are not the standard 165mm
Luckily I think the Monacor SPH 170 is actually 185mm externally and should fit well and sound good
I am just waiting on a return slip for the 165s

So, yours are the later model with the recessed round opening, not the stamped-truncated frames?

I've just been refurbishing an old pair of TDL Studio 1s. The Monacor SPH-165 drivers do physically fit but the new fixing holes end up being quite close to the inner lip of the recess. The original grip nuts were quite easy to tap out with a 6mm rod of metal. The new grip nuts (I used 25mm x 4mm cross head bolts) extend slightly in to the cutout itself but are still very secure - see attached photo. I plugged the original fixing holes with some split bamboo canes. The results are very good. I have another set of mint Studio 1s so could do true A against B comparisons. The refurbished ones sound very similar to the original, despite me also having to replace the tweeters with Monacor DT-250s.

I decided on the Monacor SPH 170 mid/bass in the end as they are 185mm exactly the same as the original drivers and 4 hole mounting not like the SPH170c which were 180mm and 6 hole mount, they are a perfect fit and sound great :) now to get around to fitting new caps to crossover if all goes well i may strip them back down and treat the cabs to some new veneer :)

Back
Top Bottom