Teac A-100

kalpol

Second thread from yesterday's attic run...I pulled out an old TEAC A-100 cassette deck which I got years ago and never really used. It's nice, looks cool, needs a little head cleaning and I bet new belts in the near future since FF doesn't really want to and the counter is jerky. Otherwise it plays well and sounds OK even with the dirty heads. Anyone know anything about this unit? The loading dock with the spotlight on the tape is pretty cool, actually.

I had one between 1978 and 1996. I didn't realize until very late in its life that the Dolby NR never worked in the left channel. I opened it up and the PC board traces had some deep gouges in it, so the Dolby was dead from day one:( I only had to re-belt it once; mechanically it was rock-solid. Electronically, it was quite picky as to the best tapes to use. Since it was a two-head design, a pro would have been needed to adjust bias and EQ. I ended up donating it to SA because repairing it would not have been worth it.

As for yours, re-belting it will more than likely fix your jerkiness problems. If you want to be able to see the tape in the cassette even better than you can now with that spotlight, take a piece of bright paper, say orange or fluorescent green, and Scotch-tape it to the metal part below the cassette. Worked great for me.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom