Teac A-103 query

Roypercy

Anybody know anything about the Teac A103 cassette deck (quality, years of manufacture, features, etc?) I have a chance to pick one up cheap and wonder if it'd be a good addition to my vintage setup.

Thanks

Roy

Somebody may have some better info but this is what I know. It would have been made in the late 70's, prob around 1977, and would have been middle of the road Teac in its day. To say that means that it was quite good. The features present you can probably work out by looking at it.
If this deck has not had any work done to it, ie replace belts, pinch rollers etc, that will have to be done if you want a reliable deck. Decks like this can almost go on forever. I like working on Teac decks of this vintage, that is one of the reasons.
Cheers
Tony

My post relates to this thread, so I'll BUMP it! :wave:

I picked up a BEAUTIFUL TEAC A-103 this afternoon and was wondering if anyone knows how it compares to a CT-F8282. :scratch2:

They both are probably MOTR decks, but I'd like to know if I should think about bumping the 8282 into storage! :cry:

Oh, the Craigslist ad said it was working great (and had a cassette in the deck - see the pic below), but when I went to check it out, the dude "couldn't find" a cassette. Luckily I brought one! The thing wouldnt rewind or fwd, and the dude was telling me the cassette was in wrong or perhaps I was using an old cassette!! So I brought him down from $30 to $20. I figger a $5 set of belts should do the trick.

It ALWAYS pays to be prepared!!

I'll give a review of the piece in a few hours.

Here's a pic of the actual deck I grabbed:

Last edited:
Well, after comparing the two PHYSICALLY side by side, the first obvious difference is sheer mass. The 8282 is MUCH heavier. This A-103 is pretty light: aluminum panels and plastic switches to the 8282's metal.

The case on the A-103 is thin aluminum. There is A LOT of empty space under the A-103's cover.

Tomorrow I will post a few pictures of the guts and stuff.

OK, I am home from work and have had time to open 'er up. Stereo Review mag did a review of this in '78 (which I am trying to find - I haven't read it), but it is built like it was '88. Borderline "black plague" with a plastic face, very thin aluminum cover and super-lightweight.

Oh, and it was indeed a bad belt. I have it working for now but will be ordering some new belts very soon. This'll work as a very pretty backup deck. Here are the guts:

Last edited:
Might as well make this thread the #1 A-103 reference on the 'net! Here are a couple images I found on eBay.

Here is what Stereo Review had to say about it (thank you VERY much AK'rs for the scans!!):

Reviewing the test data and comparing it with what we have measured on a number of other cassette decks, it becomes clear that the TEAC A-103 performs well above expectations for a machine of its price. The ultimate test must be in the listening, and here [it] acquitted itself beautifully. When we recorded interstation FM tuner hiss and compared the playback to the original (at a -10-db level) the fidelity of the recording was virtually perfect...recording music off the air resulted in a playback that was indistinguishable from the original.

[The TEAC A-103 is] a product that not only lives up to its promise, but exceeds it handily.

This is without a doubt a VERY good cassette recorder, one that sounds as good as it measures and handles with complete freedom from "bugs."

FINALLY! I was able to replace the belts!! If the screws don't strip it is a relatively easy job. Just remove the 4 screws at the back of the transport-housing (the screws go into cylindrical metal posts) and then remove the two screws that secore the circuit board just behind the transport housing. THAT'S IT!

It now plays like a dream. Question is, do I sell it or hold onto it?! I have seen them go on e-bay for between $51 and $90 during the past month.

OK, I am now officially ending my entries on this thread.

Heh. Nice score. My personal thought would be to hold onto it if it sounds that good. I had an A-100 but it looks like it's not even in the same league. These TEAC's are just about bulletproof.

Keeper.

Tom

keeprs for chrissake

Such a beauty,and it's fit and eager ?
Well unless you're drowning in decks, keep
it,dude. Recording is something else,and a good analogue deck
trimmed for bias and record level can
match any source... so you'll find yourself recording just for the
heck of it.

SHIT! I sold it on eBay and the bidder is not getting ANY sound from it. The transport is working fine, the meters are bumping, but there is no sound at all. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

He does not have headphones to test the headphone output.

Have the buyer check the play/record (patch cord) connections to make sure they are not reversed on the receiver/amp.

Have done that before myself. Pretty easy to get confused.

I can not find any info on the Teac F-200. It looks very similar to the A-103 mentioned in this thread. I need new belts but can't find any. Does anyone have any advise?

I am being told it is a very rare deck, possibly worth $-millions?

Back
Top Bottom