Teac A 1040S record function just disappear

ivo

Hi, guys, i want to share with you a strange situation. I just obtained a new BSF tape and decided to make create a mixed Blues tape with my Teac, so i put the tape, adjusted the record level(VU gages are working good) and press the two record buttons... and the lights don't get ON. So first i assumed the bulbs are not good and pressed the start button anyway.Switched the "source - tape" switch to "tape" and... the old records sounds! The machine did not erase the old record, neither recorded the new one. It looks like there is no power to the recording amplifier. I opened the deck and take a look inside - very clean and looks like never opened unit, but couldn't see any fuse there. Downloaded Sevice manual from HFI engine and found a sкetch of the amplifier with fuse post but didn't find it on my machine, or maybe it is not looking as a regular fuse and couldn't recognize it. Any help, idea or just answer will be hi appreciated!!
Thanks!!!

if you haven't used the RECORD for quite some time, try a brief spray w/DeOxit on the record buttons and exercize them 20-40 !! times.

Oh i already did that - no success. Yesterday the record function returned for a short time and another strange thing happened - the red records lights didn't turn off when i pressed the stop button, so i needed to turn off the deck.When i turned on again no record function was presented. Maybe the problem is on capacitors there? Because the record switches and VU gages are connected with one wire and the VU are working properly in both position - "tape" and "source"...I tried to jump one of the record switches, just unsoldered the wire and attached it to the point where it going in. No change.
So this is what i got: the VU gages are getting the signal but no signal is sent to the heads. Is it possible?
P.S. actually it looks like no signal to the record relays too. Do you know what voltage should be on the record switches? Thank you for your answer - im not so good at reading the schematic.

Last edited:
Jonny Ramone!!!!! THANKS, A LOT, MAN!! I got it. Before it happens i try to increase the tension on the pinch roller, because the machine was howling at the end of the tape, by moving the two nuts on the solenoid shaft so the plate moved to the right and didn't press the record switch firmly!! Now it is ok!!!
Thank you very,very much for the help!
Ivo.

Last edited:
Do you know why some of the tapes are squeaks so bad (probably the tape is touching the reel??) Even a good Sony squeaks as demon!!

Sony tapes are known for issues, either dry lubricant squeal, or Sticky shed syndrome. I've had Scotch tape do the squeal bit too. You can theoretically use a silicone gun cloth, and FF/RW with the tape pinched in between your fingers, but if you overdue it, then it will slip.

Thanks!! I'll try that.I just wanted to be sure that nothing is wrong with my Teac.All my tapes which are squealing are very old and two of them are Sony...

Hi JonnyRamone!! Do you know what may be the reason the speed becoming unsteady in this machine? My Teac start to hauling a little bit in the very end of the tape. I increased the tension of the pinch roller a little bit (that was the reason to lost the record function) but it still gets unsteady speed on the last song of the tape. Thank you for any help or idea.
Thanks!
Ivo.

Back
Top Bottom