Teac A-2000 Reel to Reel Recorder

corpblues

AK Member
I had a new friend give me a Teac A-2000 Reel to Reel because he knew I was into reel to reel gear. He said a neighbor had put it on the curb for trash pickup about years ago and he grabbed it. He put it in a closet where it has been for years and he never tried to powered it on.

It took a little elbow grease to clean it up and free up typical stuck levers due to harden gunk. With only cleaning, lubrication and deoxit, this deck is up and running great. It had a tape loaded on it which turned out to be a Pink Floyd Division Bell recording which sounds very nice!

I've searched google and audiokarma and find very little about this deck, other than people asking about it and finding the same bunch of nothing. A few posts state it is later in the teac timeline than the model number would imply and was last A series just before the X line up. But not sure if that is fact or assumption.

Serial number of my deck is 981585 02 Perhaps there is a date code in that?

Does anyone have facts of when this was made and any details about it? Where does it fall in the teac timeline of reel to reel decks?

IMG_1662.JPG

It's the last of the AC motor "A" series decks before the "X" series took over. Basically it's the A-2300SX with a different trim panel and without the cue/review lever. Very nice sturdy well built machine from around 1978 to 1980 IIRC, it was replaced by the X-3. How someone could put a beautiful machine like that at the curb is beyond me. Hang on to it, it's a good'un!

Back
Top Bottom