Teac A-4010S reel to reel

R-2-R

Now this was an unexpected delight! Yesterday at work a co-worker comes up to me and says..."hey your into reel to reels, right?".... I say yes, we go to his vehicle and shows me a Teac A-4010S with tape and plastic reels and original Teac rubber hubs! It's not in the best shape but I've seen worse, then he ask me if I'd be interested in buying it. I start to ask him all these questions about the A-4010S, then he interrupts me and says, "how about $10 bucks for it?". I say O K. Take it in and start taking it apart and cleaning, inspecting, etc. It works great but I'm going to replace the counter belt as well as the capstan belt.
This makes my second Teac A-4010S reel to reel and third in the A-4### Series, also have a Teac A-4000 was well!
It was a very good Friday to say the least!

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Teac A-4010S cleaned up!

Last picture.....

EDIT** By the way, inspected the heads and I was extremely surprised to find them in 'excellent condtion' !

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Surprisingly the tape still sounds good, not bad at all, alot of 70's stuff on it. But if you noticed in the before pictures the pinch roller and capstan have a thick coat of tape residue. I didn't take a picture on those specific parts of the reel to reel afterwards but I cleaned both real good and left them spotless. Though after I cleaned the reel to reel all up and decided to give it a test run with the supplied reel, I noticed that tape residue started to form again on those two specific areas so this tells me that, that particular tape is no good. Shame because I liked the music that was recorded on it.
What really surprised me though is that the drive belt still has some life in it (but for how much longer?) as well as the counter belt! But after examining them I still am going to replace them. Also had to re-adjust the lamp on the right VU meter. It works it's just that if you notice in the pictures it appears as it is dimly lit or not even on at all because for whatever reason it was in a lower postion than it should normally be. So I re-positioned it so that when looking at it, the VU meters have the same light effect.

Last edited:
Definitely try that car polish before just tossing it. Nothin' 2 loose. ??Re-Nu ??

>>>... this tells me that particular tape is no good. Shame because I liked the music that was recorded on it. <<<

Car polish used on tape!?

This is the very first time that I'm hearing about this process using 'car polish' on tape? I take it this is for restoration purposes on old tape!

Could you be more specific about this process using car polish? What exactly is this? Instructions, any particular type of car polish, etc.?

Definitely try that car polish before just tossing it. Nothin' 2 loose. ??Re-Nu ??

Thanks for your tip by the way! :thmbsp:

This is the very first time that I'm hearing about this process using 'car polish' on tape? I take it this is for restoration purposes on old tape!

Could you be more specific about this process using car polish? What exactly is this? Instructions, any particular type of car polish, etc.?

Thanks for your tip by the way! :thmbsp:

Use your favorite search engine: 'Nu-Finish for tape'
THOUSANDS of possibilities. The guy who 'pioneered' it posts mostly to TapeHeads. Gonna try it out this wknd. TOO many tapes to use it on...

Last edited:
I've got two of these decks - the 4010S and a 4010SL - hate to say it, but I bailed on trying to get them working - both have power - reels spin - etc... Can't remember exactly what the problem was - seems I could never get sound from either one ! Sure wish I had somewhere close to get them looked at - shipping them to get worked on would be a nightmare I would think !

That's a shame! Yes, shipping them just to get worked on would definitely be costly $$$. I guess you have to ask yourself if the cost is beneficial in relation to the cost of the reel to reel itself? Not only that then there is the cost for having them repaired and then the cost of having them shipped back to you!
These are nice reel to reels and when working properly they are great! Keep searching here on AK or keep asking about specific problems and or post pictures, that your encountering with them I'm sure someone will chime in on helping you. I'll admit I'm limited on repairing, if not I'd help out as much as I can.

EDIT** Just maybe, these links can help you out?: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=503113
https://www.daeinconline.com/index.html

I've got two of these decks - the 4010S and a 4010SL - hate to say it, but I bailed on trying to get them working - both have power - reels spin - etc... Can't remember exactly what the problem was - seems I could never get sound from either one ! Sure wish I had somewhere close to get them looked at - shipping them to get worked on would be a nightmare I would think !

Last edited:
That's a shame! Yes, shipping them just to get worked on would definitely be costly $$$. I guess you have to ask yourself if the cost is beneficial in relation to the cost of the reel to reel itself? Not only that then there is the cost for having them repaired and then the cost of having them shipped back to you!
These are nice reel to reels and when working properly they are great! Keep searching here on AK or keep asking about specific problems and or post pictures, that your encountering with them I'm sure someone will chime in on helping you. I'll admit I'm limited on repairing, if not I'd help out as much as I can.

EDIT** Just maybe, these links can help you out?: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=503113
https://www.daeinconline.com/index.html

Thanks R2R - maybe I'll take another crack at them and post pictures and questions like you said ! The 4010S is absolutely in beautiful condition and I would love to get it going ! It appears to be something minor but still over my skills to work on it !

Hey proimage1, keep at it and don't give up!
I completely know and understand how fustrating it can become when trying to get something going again but continue and press on and as mentioned before keep looking, searching and asking here on AK. With the right guidance hopefully you'll get them going again!
Hey you've come this far, why stop now!?
Good Luck!

I bought a NOS reel of BASF tape similar to yours a few years ago. It shed pretty heavily the first few plays, but is more normal now.

Hey proimage1, keep at it and don't give up!
I completely know and understand how fustrating it can become when trying to get something going again but continue and press on and as mentioned before keep looking, searching and asking here on AK. With the right guidance hopefully you'll get them going again!
Hey you've come this far, why stop now!?
Good Luck!

I will - I have no plans of getting rid of them. In fact, I ALMOST pulled them out last night, but decided to watch " The Grateful Dead " " Closing of Winterland " Dvd last night instead. Might dig into it today.

The thing is - I would LOVE to get it going - I have great ( foggy ) memories of the time in the service overseas in the early 70's in the barracks - seems every room had a monster stereo blasting the walls down and most had R2R systems - I had an Akai R2R back then and it was awesome - it's just been close to 40 years since those days. I bought my system in the BX and had it shipped straight home to have when I came back to the states - lots of guys did the same. It's a funny story ( sad really ) -- I originally bought a Pioneer system - SX838 - Akai Open Reel - big Pioneer Speakers - Pioneer Turntable, etc... shipped it all home ! Got a letter from my Dad who was probably my age now back then ( I'm 58 ) -- wanted to know if he could use it until I came home and of course I said sure. At any rate - a few months before my tour was up - he told me he wanted to keep the system and he would send me money to buy another setup -- I did, BUT this time instead of the R2R I bought an 8 track recorder - how dumb was that. But, I did upgrade the speakers and receiver to an SX1010 - which I still have and it's as close to mint as you can get - use it everyday - 25 years ago I traded the 8 track recorder for a Sansui Reverb which I still have.
The sad part - when my Dad died - my brother got the old system I had gotten my Dad - he promptly headed to a pawn shop and dumped it - R2R and all and it was in pristine condition - darn it, I'd have given my brother at least what he got in the pawn shop had I known he was gonna do that.
I googled vintage audio repair in the Florida panhandle where I am - the closest seems to be several hundred miles away - so I guess it's either me tackling it or not !
I have the one 4010s that is insanely nice condition - dust cover and all - came upon the 4010sl in not quite the condition and figured it could be a parts machine - but ironically it seems to have the same problems.
I did get the service and owner's manual from Hi Fi Engine - who knows, maybe I'll get the old thing up and going - sure would be great to have it !

Thanks for the encouragement - believe me, IF I get it going, this place will be the first to know it ! :thmbsp:

Well - guess R2R - I just took off the front cover and the first I found was NO BELT - just a bunch of gook that used to be the belt - so I'll order that first and go from there ! Who knows - I might get this old Jewell up and going !
Thanks for the motivation !
I'll post back soon with results !

Way to go! :thmbsp:

I remember when I got my first Teac A-4010 it just needed a belt as well (your description is exactly what I also had experienced) the job is not really difficult or hard at all just a bit tricky but allowing yourself the time and patience it can be done. Before you start may I suggest that you first do a Google search on the subject (type in Teac A-4010 belt replacement) then just click 'images' and just continue to search. You'll come across pictures, instructions, etc. to help you out. :D Here is the post on my first experience (post #24 & 26) with a Teac A-4010: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=403221

EDIT** This thread should also help you out, especially post #2, read carefully: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137087 also:http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36086
Also just incase you'd be interested, this is the place where I ordered my belt kit for mine: http://www.vintage-electronics.net/teac-a-4010-belt-kit.aspx

Well - guess R2R - I just took off the front cover and the first I found was NO BELT - just a bunch of gook that used to be the belt - so I'll order that first and go from there ! Who knows - I might get this old Jewell up and going !
Thanks for the motivation !
I'll post back soon with results !

Last edited:
Thanks again - I've actually been looking all morning and found a place in KY that sells the original belts and the supposedly come with instructions ! I still have the other unit that I can use for parts if needed ! I'm betting the belt on that is shot to ! It's gonna be a slow process cleaning all the melted goo off from the has been belt ! Nope, I'm in no hurry at all - I'll take it slow ! I'm working on a couple of turntables now to - but I sure hope I can get this R2R singing !
I appreciate the tips and links ! I'll post results as they happen !

Well - I managed to open up the parts deck and to my surprise both belts appear to be still ok - BUT GOSH ALL MIGHTY - it was a booger getting to the main belt and getting it off ! No doubt I did it the hard way, so I'm gonna have to do a lot of research before attempting to put this one on the other deck ! The parts deck was more or less trashed, but I went ahead and salvaged what parts looked ok !
Time to start digging and reading on installing this belt !
More to come !

Well - hate to say it BUT there is no way in heck I can get to the area to replace the belt SO back to the shelf it goes until I find someone with a helluva lot more patience and SMALLER hands and fingers !
I did manage to get all the crud from the melted old belt cleaned and cleaned the heads while I was at it !
I'll save this for another day !

Now this was an unexpected delight! Yesterday at work a co-worker comes up to me and says..."hey your into reel to reels, right?".... I say yes, we go to his vehicle and shows me a Teac A-4010S with tape and plastic reels and original Teac rubber hubs! It's not in the best shape but I've seen worse, then he ask me if I'd be interested in buying it. I start to ask him all these questions about the A-4010S, then he interrupts me and says, "how about $10 bucks for it?". I say O K. Take it in and start taking it apart and cleaning, inspecting, etc. It works great but I'm going to replace the counter belt as well as the capstan belt.
This makes my second Teac A-4010S reel to reel and third in the A-4### Series, also have a Teac A-4000 was well!
It was a very good Friday to say the least!

Back
Top Bottom