TEAC A-4300SX for sale, showing head wear photo

Source-tape1

I'm looking at an ad of a TEAC A-4300SX for sale on the internet that has been serviced and supposedly operating within specs. I've researched a lot about head wear, and the general consensus seems to be if a wear-slot is about a 1/4", that's too much. The seller provided this photo of 3 of the 4 heads, and it seems like the wear is approaching the 1/4" area.

I'd like to have some comments on this. Thanks.

Attachments

• Teac A-4300 head wear 1.png
    Teac A-4300 head wear 1.png
    269 KB · Views: 91
Head wear is evident on right head (forward playback). Not clear enough to see record (center) head wear. Reverse play looks similar to forward play-although not as clear. Overall, not bad. I can believe unit will meet spec still. If you plan on using the machine several hours/day for an extended time, then it will become an issue. Occasional use-should be fine.

Do an internet search to find a company that will relap those heads for you.

I don't believe it's economic to relap heads on one of these. These sell serviced and meeting spec, well 20kHz minimum, for $300 or thereabouts.

It's not easy to to photograph heads, much better to try straight at them, so really only a good shot of the one one medium worn head for us to go on. What is noticeable is that the lifters don't appear worn at all. Turning lifters to offer a new surface to the tape is fair, but one medium-worn head and no sign of other wear would prompt me to ask a question or two. One of those would be what they actually did to validate or set it to meet spec in forward and reverse.

Back
Top Bottom