Teac A-4300SX

soundoc03

I picked up one of these nicely built RtR last week at the GW for the less than bargain price of $50. It appears to be in very good condition. There was an old tape that came with it so I am able to demonstate that it can record and all the mechanical functions work. One VU meter although lit, has no needle movement either on record or playback.

Any expert opinions on this deck? This is my first RtR, is is worth investing in Maxell tape, demagnetizers, and cleaning kits for this model?

Look up Vintage TX's post here on AK about cleaning RTR Decks

soundoc03 said:
I picked up one of these nicely built RtR last week at the GW for the less than bargain price of $50. It appears to be in very good condition. There was an old tape that came with it so I am able to demonstate that it can record and all the mechanical functions work. One VU meter although lit, has no needle movement either on record or playback.

Any expert opinions on this deck? This is my first RtR, is is worth investing in Maxell tape, demagnetizers, and cleaning kits for this model?

You have a fine tape deck. I would give it a good cleaning, ie cleaning the heads,tape guides, pinch roller and capstan. Use denatured alcohol on these parts. I would get the service manual and oil the motors as this machine is well over 25 years old. Take care of the old girl and she will take care of you. Dirty tape heads could be causing your problem...

Enjoy..Eric:music:

Both channels work, just the VU is non functional on one. Motor, belts
seem to be in good shape. I did clean up the heads and treated the pinch roller, but I found that the tape that was on it was leaving a lot of residue so I probably shouldn't be playing it other than what I did to initially test it.

Maxell UD 35-90 seems to be a consensus choice for good NOS or used tape and appears to be available on eBay with regularity.

Good choice of tape...

I like the Maxell line. Have been given some with several decks I've gotten over the last few years. Years ago I used BASF high output tape in the white case/ flip down door. Been buying up NOS and used rolls off the 'Bay. and it still performs like new. Good stuff. Good luck with the deck. It will make great sounding tapes:tresbon:

Eric:music:

Back
Top Bottom