1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

TEAC A-6300 recording levels, particularly the output level

Discussion in 'Tape' started by 91rtstealth, Aug 7, 2018.

1. 91rtstealth

91rtstealth Active Member

I've searched and I've read the owners manual. From what I've gathered, the 2 o'clock position on the output level is the actual recorded level. However, it always seems low to me, and i've owned this deck and many other decks for 10+ years.

For example, if I set the recording level on source, and switch to "tape" while recording, the audio being recorded to the tape is lower. If I set my output level to the 3 o'clock position, it seems closer to the actual input level. I've also noticed that when I play tapes recorded on my A-6300 on my A-3440, the meters read much higher on the A-3440. I just had the A-6300 refurbished and the results are the same. Is the 3 o'clock position more accurate in terms of "actual recorded level"?

I'm just wondering where y'all set your levels when recording.

Thanks in advance

Please register to disable this ad.

2. rojoknox

rojoknox Active Member

Greetings from RojoLand!

On the A-6300, the specified output level (-8 dB referenced to 0.775 Vrms) is at the 3-o'clock position of the Output control, per the service manual (page 21).

I too have an A-6300 (and an A-3440). GREAT decks.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

3. 91rtstealth

91rtstealth Active Member

Yeah, it's weird....the owner's manual says 2 o'clock position and the service manual says 3 o'clock...that's why I was confused. 3 seems more accurate. 2 seems low.

4. rojoknox

rojoknox Active Member

Greetings from RojoLand!

Weird indeed. And look at the owner's-manual cover — the photo shows the Output knob at 3:00! (Poofread? Why brother?)

The normal position of that knob may well be 3:00, but the recorded level on a given tape may differ from standard, which is why the knob's there to begin with. If levels are hot or cold at the specified 3:00, adjust as needed. It sounds like your technician did correctly adjust the levels, which is good. When you record your own tapes, set that knob at 3:00.

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak" (Teac A-6300 Freak too)