Teac A-650 is it a good deck? Is worth risking 50.00 bucks at goodwill?

Ric Harris

I was in my local Goodwill today and spied a Teac A-650 for 50.00. It's heaviest tape deck I've ever laid hands on. It's got to be 30+lbs or better. It's a bit filthy and likely been sitting idle for some time. I plan on looking at it again if it's still there with a tape in hand just to see if it functions. It's just a 2 head but who really needs an erase head anyhow. It's all about record and playback in my eyes. I need another tape deck like I need another anything but any unit that weighs that much usually means serious business. Besides my Nakamichi is on the fritz and my Tandburg is old and clunky and it never fails but it's old and clunky..
Any thoughts?

from the web

844229-teac-a650-cassette-deck-restored.jpg

There,s nothing special about it. I would not pay 50 for it. I,m not understanding your comment about the lack of an erase head. Two head decks have an erase head, they lack a monitor head.

There,s nothing special about it. I would not pay 50 for it. I,m not understanding your comment about the lack of an erase head. Two head decks have an erase head, they lack a monitor head.
It had a seized motor but I snagged for less after pointing that out to the manager at Goodwill. I have a buddy that wanted it and he handed me a Ben Franklin for it. I didn't want that much be he insisted. And your right there is nothing special about it other than being built like a tank.

Glad you were able to make a profit on it. Cassette decks do not bring much around here unless they are Naks or 3 heads.

Glad you were able to make a profit on it. Cassette decks do not bring much around here unless they are Naks or 3 heads.
The dude I sold to got it running and got 225.00 for it now I don't feel as guilty about getting a hundie for it. As for Naks I got one that FF and RW work but on play only one motor runs and it stops immediately. Fail safe. Wish I knew how to remedy that.

Back
Top Bottom