1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

TEAC A-7300 Capstan Issues

Discussion in 'Tape' started by CheeseofBorg, May 3, 2016.

1. CheeseofBorg

CheeseofBorg User Serviceable Parts

I picked up a Teac A-7300 today for about $200. All seems fine except the capstan will not spin up. It seems to turn freely, but will not move at all once I hit play. Is this reel-to-reel worth going through a song and dance to fix? And are there any "easy" fixes I may have missed (such as a hard to notice fuse or something?). This is the first reel-to-reel deck I have really gotten a look at, and I'm not entirely sure exactly where to start troubleshooting. In addition, I noticed some wear on the record/play heads (included picture). Is this amount of ware going to noticeably effect quality of playback if I do get this running?
    [​IMG]

Please register to disable this ad.

2. CheeseofBorg

I was just able to remove the capstan assembly and discovered that a capacitor (C916) is missing, the board has no solder where it should go, indicating that it was never installed. It does not show up on any diagrams I can find in the service manual (correct me If i am wrong), should I ignore it?

3. JRC75

JRC75 Active Member

I would check / replace electrolytics, check resistors, voltages etc. Clean and re-lube motor. And would not add a capacitor where one was not in original config. There is a thread about this from Musicalme Apr 6, 2012, google search teac a7300 capstan motor.

4. CheeseofBorg

I looked at that thread, and plan to do a complete test of the capstan assembly, but I have no idea how to clean a DC motor.

5. JRC75

JRC75 Active Member

Carefully take apart, don't damage windings. The I usually clean the shaft and bearings with q-tip moistened with alcohol and paper towel make sure there is no sludge remaining. Re lube with light machine oil or synthetic oil. I have not worked on this particular motor just be careful, someone assembled it so it must come apart.

6. CheeseofBorg

Do you have any recommendations for lubricant? I use Super Lube 51010 Oil for most projects (lubing camera gears and the like) but will I need something thinner?

7. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man Subscriber

check the regulated voltages ,
    just fixed an a-5300 was bad connections on the stabiliser board ..

8. CheeseofBorg

I checked the connector going to the capstan assembly, both the 24v and 5v lines were within spec.

9. JRC75

JRC75 Active Member

I use 3 in 1 often, but also use oil for turntables i got many years ago when I worked on stereo equipment full time. it's not labeled. There is also a WD 40, 3 in 1 oil that looks good 20w and made for motors.

10. eddisc

eddisc Super Member

WD - 40 is not a lubricant !! LPS-1 would be better... Use gun smith oil or something others have recommended is MOBILE 1 0-20 fully synthetic oil. A quart will last a lifetime in the audio/fishing/hunting pursuits. Just get a small/tiny syringe.

11. JRC75

JRC75 Active Member

Not WD-40, But WD-40 3 in 1 oil which is a lubricant

12. Satcom123

Satcom123 Super Member

I would NOT use any WD-40 on any reel to reel. Period!
    With that said. The only easy fix is to remove the capstan and motor. Dissasemble, clean and re-lube with either 3-1 or the mobile 0W20. Also remove and re-lube the pinch roller. Looking at the heads, they look like they need cleaned and polished. I use metal polish which makes them look like new. Clean afterwards with alcohol.

13. JRC75

JRC75 Active Member

14. Satcom123

Satcom123 Super Member

3 and one is totally different from WD-40 spray that one buys.

15. JRC75

JRC75 Active Member

Yes but as one can see 3 in 1 is MFD by WD 40 Co. WD 40 spray is a pennetrant to help free rusted hardware etc. I do not use for motor bearing Lubrication, but it works to clean gummy dried out lubrication from motor shaft and sleeve bearings. Just wipe off after cleaning and apply fresh oil.

16. Satcom123

Satcom123 Super Member

Yes JRC75 I could see it used for cleaning.