TEAC A-7300 Capstan Issues

CheeseofBorg

User Serviceable Parts
I picked up a Teac A-7300 today for about $200. All seems fine except the capstan will not spin up. It seems to turn freely, but will not move at all once I hit play. Is this reel-to-reel worth going through a song and dance to fix? And are there any "easy" fixes I may have missed (such as a hard to notice fuse or something?). This is the first reel-to-reel deck I have really gotten a look at, and I'm not entirely sure exactly where to start troubleshooting. In addition, I noticed some wear on the record/play heads (included picture). Is this amount of ware going to noticeably effect quality of playback if I do get this running?
5xPoPue.jpg

I was just able to remove the capstan assembly and discovered that a capacitor (C916) is missing, the board has no solder where it should go, indicating that it was never installed. It does not show up on any diagrams I can find in the service manual (correct me If i am wrong), should I ignore it?

I would check / replace electrolytics, check resistors, voltages etc. Clean and re-lube motor. And would not add a capacitor where one was not in original config. There is a thread about this from Musicalme Apr 6, 2012, google search teac a7300 capstan motor.

I would check / replace electrolytics, check resistors, voltages etc. Clean and re-lube motor. And would not add a capacitor where one was not in original config. There is a thread about this from Musicalme Apr 6, 2012, google search teac a7300 capstan motor.

I looked at that thread, and plan to do a complete test of the capstan assembly, but I have no idea how to clean a DC motor.

Carefully take apart, don't damage windings. The I usually clean the shaft and bearings with q-tip moistened with alcohol and paper towel make sure there is no sludge remaining. Re lube with light machine oil or synthetic oil. I have not worked on this particular motor just be careful, someone assembled it so it must come apart.

Carefully take apart, don't damage windings. The I usually clean the shaft and bearings with q-tip moistened with alcohol and paper towel make sure there is no sludge remaining. Re lube with light machine oil or synthetic oil. I have not worked on this particular motor just be careful, someone assembled it so it must come apart.
Do you have any recommendations for lubricant? I use Super Lube 51010 Oil for most projects (lubing camera gears and the like) but will I need something thinner?

check the regulated voltages ,
just fixed an a-5300 was bad connections on the stabiliser board ..

I use 3 in 1 often, but also use oil for turntables i got many years ago when I worked on stereo equipment full time. it's not labeled. There is also a WD 40, 3 in 1 oil that looks good 20w and made for motors.

WD - 40 is not a lubricant !! LPS-1 would be better... Use gun smith oil or something others have recommended is MOBILE 1 0-20 fully synthetic oil. A quart will last a lifetime in the audio/fishing/hunting pursuits. Just get a small/tiny syringe.

I would NOT use any WD-40 on any reel to reel. Period!
With that said. The only easy fix is to remove the capstan and motor. Dissasemble, clean and re-lube with either 3-1 or the mobile 0W20. Also remove and re-lube the pinch roller. Looking at the heads, they look like they need cleaned and polished. I use metal polish which makes them look like new. Clean afterwards with alcohol.

Yes but as one can see 3 in 1 is MFD by WD 40 Co. WD 40 spray is a pennetrant to help free rusted hardware etc. I do not use for motor bearing Lubrication, but it works to clean gummy dried out lubrication from motor shaft and sleeve bearings. Just wipe off after cleaning and apply fresh oil.

I would NOT use any WD-40 on any reel to reel. Period!
With that said. The only easy fix is to remove the capstan and motor. Dissasemble, clean and re-lube with either 3-1 or the mobile 0W20. Also remove and re-lube the pinch roller. Looking at the heads, they look like they need cleaned and polished. I use metal polish which makes them look like new. Clean afterwards with alcohol.

Good lord . He told you 3 times that its wd-40 THREE IN ONE , wd-40 is a brand , not a "thing" . I know this is a really old thread bud . I was looking into a problem I had with a 7300 motor and this pipped my pipper ...hahah .. So many times I`ve recommended a wd-40 product and had to go through the same thing over and over , wd-40 make MANY products , not just penetrating fluid . lol . Feel for you man .lol

to be fair wd-40 has only in relatively recent times made new products as well as the standard stuff .

to be fair wd-40 has only in relatively recent times made new products as well as the standard stuff .

2011 The brought out the "speciality range" they did have one or two other products before that but its been a good decade they`ve been making more than one for sure . Not that I`m having a go ay at anyone here it just amazes me when people immediately jump of people for even mentioning the name , they have a whole host of decent products now , the contact cleaner is awesome .

2011 The brought out the "speciality range" they did have one or two other products before that but its been a good decade they`ve been making more than one for sure . Not that I`m having a go ay at anyone here it just amazes me when people immediately jump of people for even mentioning the name , they have a whole host of decent products now , the contact cleaner is awesome .
i first saw the contact cleaner about 2 years ago when a friend had some and he read the health and safety sheet for it and decided it wasn't for him .i think i ended up with it and haven't found it yet . might be still in my car . :D

Back
Top Bottom