Teac AI-1000

Tin Bird

TEAC AI-1000. Anyone know anything about this amp? Has lots of power: Output Power: 120W + 120W (4 ohms), 85W + 85W (8 ohms). Was wondering how it sounds? Most reviews are very positive and describe it as smooth on top...but I have seen a few that say the top end is a bit bright. Any thoughts?
Would it be a good pairing w the Wharfedale Denton 8th Anniversary speakers? Or would it be too much for them? Thanks!

unfortunately i didn't notice your question earlier.
it's exact the combination i run in my second setup. the TEAC delivers a precise, detailed and analytic sound that in my opinion fits fine with the Denton's characteristics - music is presented at a real high level, maybe lacks a bit of involving emotions compared with e. g. NAD amps. brightness shouldn't be a problem as long as your source isn't too bright - in that way my YAMAHA CD-NT670D isn`t the perfect fit. in my small room i don't need the power the TEAC is capable to deliver, otherwise it's indispensable if you run them in a larger room. and not to forget: the TEAC is really well built. if you don't need the power of the TEAC i'd take the new REGA BRIO 2017 into consideration.

Hey there...just saw your response...thanks! So, you have this exact setup... curious what you mean by "analytic sound"... gotcha w the prices and detailed...meaning you hear lots of background sounds and details of the music clearly..that sounds cool...but analytic sound like sterile i.e. boring... I have wanted this amp for a long time now, mainly due to the looks and the few reviews that I have read. My source is the Pro-ject CD Box DS...very smooth, detailed, charming CD player.
I will add that I prefer a warm, full-bodied, detailed sound... I like to hear all of the tiny sounds, but i do like the music to have body. Above all, I cannot stand bright or harsh sounding gear...

Last edited:
I will add that I prefer a warm, full-bodied, detailed sound...
considering your preferences maybe Marantz or NAD would be a better fit. hard to say. the TEAC isn't harsh at all but definitely a little bright. some would call it sterile i suppose. but the brightness to me is well compensated due to the Denton's characteristics. referring to my individual listening preferences, at this price, i personally can't think of any better combination AI-1000 - Denton - except maybe the Rega Brio which should be at a similar level.
btw: i compared a Marantz PM6004 to my AI-1000 (speakers: Klipsch RB-75) - and didn't like the Marantz' sound at all.

I ended up going w the Quad Vena integrated...all I can say is WOW! I have it connected to my Pro-Ject CD Box DS via digital coax and the sound is absolutely marvelous and stunning. I thought the Burr Brown DAC in the CD Box DS sounded good, but absolutely no question that the Cirrus Logic DAC in the Vena is far superior in every way. And, of course, whatever filters the amp uses vs the CD player.... I am super happy and have found my happy place w my system! :)

Well, the DAC on the Vena has a problem. I am onto my second unit, and when I connect my Pro-Ject CD Box DS to it via coaxial, it cuts off the first second of the tracks on the CD. Weird. Thinking I will have to return it. I have purchased a TEAC AG-H600NT integrated which was very well reviewed back when it came out around 2009/2010. I'm hoping that this gives me the sound I am looking for. If not, I may try the AI-1000.

TEAC AG-H600NT sounded nice, but it was a refurb unit that had some issues so I had to return it. Purchased a Rotel A12 today. Wow! This sounds amazingly good! By far the best sound I have had in my system. Nice, thick, dynamic sound with a wide soundstage. Treble is present and clear but not at all bright. One thing I've noticed on first use, the amp runs pretty hot. Is this normal? Will keep updates on how the sound of the amp progresses.

Congrats! Looks a really nice unit...

A12_guts.png

Thanks! It would appear that my days of the mini class "D" integrateds are coming to an end. As cute, convenient, sensible, and decent sounding as they are (I'm talking NAD D3020, NAD D7050, TEAC AI-301, TEAC AG-H600NT, Yamaha A-U671), they cannot hold a candle to the sound of this amp. Been a while since I had a class A/B in my system...it is a pleasant change of pace. Class D sounds crystal clear (which is nice), but they are sterile, clinical, and ever so slightly bereft of emotion. This Rotel A12 sounds like a mid-level amp from the 70's...while it is crystal clear as well, the music has a "presence" to it...a weight and complexity. Breaking it in further this morning on low levels...can't wait to hear this thing a few days from now! :) btw I actually purchased this from the Magnolia room at Best Buy....was just planning to see what they had going on w a clearance sale and don't you know it, this amp was sitting on the front table as an open box special half price! Could not refuse that deal for sure!

Looks very nice. All in one unit with BT/DAC and pre outs too... congrats.

Thanks. I plan to do some serious listening this weekend when I have some time. Will report back what I hear. It really has brought my Wharfedale Denton speakers to life. THis is the most full sounding and dynamic they have been ever. btw There is an older brother model the A14...described as similar w a few more watts.

Man, this Rotel A12 sounds wonderful! Nice full bodied, yet detailed sound. I have also changed up my speakers...bought a pair of Polk S20s and man they sound much better than the Dentons. Actually, I guess better is a very subjective term...much fuller sound, more bass...perhaps the Dentons win out (just) w soundstage and maybe a smidge more detail on top..bur overall, I much prefer the sound of the S20s. Good combo...

Back
Top Bottom