Teac BX-500 vs. Technics SA404

Tuberadioguy

I'm considering getting one of two vintage receivers but I'm just not sure which one would be the better choice. I was first looking at a Teac BX-500, the only thing is I don't know anything about it's condition or price of it. I just know it was owned by my brothers Girlfriends Grandfather and it is in his basement. He is retired and has moved out of state, so his stuff is going to be sold soon. The Technics SA404 came into the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, I work and volunteer there so I tested it. It is in good condition, sounds good but has a couple flaws. The volume and selector switch seem to need cleaned. It was scratchy slightly and it didn't want to switch to FM and play on both sides until i messed with the switch. It sounded good considering I only had small cheap speakers on it. My manager would sell it for 10.00 to me. I know both companies made good products but I don't know much more than that. I have a good and decent sounding receiver from the 90's but I'd like to have a decent vintage receiver that will perform well for a little bit of everything. Any information or input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I got the Technics SA-404 for 10.00. I still need to clean the controls but it's doing okay for now. I think it sat for a long time unused at one time, which is why it has dirty controls. This thing is awesome, I have some Knight speakers hooked up to it that have Jensen 15" Woofers and a very large horn tweeters in them and a set of Pyramid Phase 3 speakers, they're just a small set but sound good. I have the receiver paired with a Teac EQA-220 10 band equalizer. This is probably one of the best set up's I've had in a long time. I've been using my computer for music and I can't turn it's volume past 50% and the receiver past 1 without it getting insanely loud. I do occasionally play with the loudness and boost switches if I want a bit more thump without touching the volume and keep my tone controls at zero. Since I've had it, which has only been a couple days, I haven't been able to turn it past 2. I'm running it at about a 6 ohm load since the Pyramid speakers are 4 ohm and I figure it should be putting out about 55 watts since it does 50 at 8 ohm and 60 at 4 ohm. KIMG0121.jpg

Back
Top Bottom