TEAC TN-300 Belt Drive Turntable Initial Impression and Review

Got a call from my shop to inform me that the turntable is being sent to a TEAC verified servicer in the area. They're going to try and determine if it can be fixed. Assuming it's a motor problem, if it can be fixed somehow they're going to take that route. I'm hoping to get a new replacement though. Sucks considering I've only owned it for 6 weeks.

This coming Monday will be the 4th week since I returned my broken TN-300 to Planet of Sound in Toronto. I've written two e-mails to TEAC expressing my anger with having to wait almost FOUR weeks for a replacement/repair (I only bought it 6 weeks prior to that).
I've gotten no reply from TEAC, so today I'm going back to the shop to demand my money back. This is simply unacceptable.

Incredibly dissatisfied with TEAC and this turntable right now. Also hope this motor problem doesn't become a common issue for those who own it.

I've been watching the Asian turntable market carefully lately, waiting for the *right* turntable for me to appear. It seems that it's very close to happening.

This TEAC is really attractive. I'm more of a DD person, though. GFunkAllStar's issue is disturbing, though, especially from the customer service aspect. I hope the issue gets resolved.

If I were to get this table, I'd go with this finish:

8180p3o3h3L._SL1500_.jpg

Also, the S arm version is now available on Amazon for about $450.

The most encouraging news is that a German company called ReLoop has released a Hanpin-originating turntable that boasts a Wow and Flutter specification of 0.01%. (The ReLoop RP-7000). I emailed the company and inquired about the possibility that perhaps they would consider offering a turntable based on this that was aimed more at the listener than the DJ, and I received a favorable response via email. I guess I'll wait for the time being to see what comes of it.

It seems that ReLoop starts with a base Hanpin model and adds their own engineering to it. I'm curious as to how they got the motor to behave to such an impressive specification.

The day is probably not far off when we'll really see some top-performing turntables show up at affordable prices once again.

DustyOldPile there is always hope that a miracle will happen and you will be able to purchase a Hanpin built turntable that performs/functions/is built like a high end table for a low price of $450. If ReLoop in Germany is rebuilding Hanpin turntables to improve their performance like anything out of Germany this won't come cheap.

This coming Monday will be the 4th week since I returned my broken TN-300 to Planet of Sound in Toronto. I've written two e-mails to TEAC expressing my anger with having to wait almost FOUR weeks for a replacement/repair (I only bought it 6 weeks prior to that).
I've gotten no reply from TEAC, so today I'm going back to the shop to demand my money back. This is simply unacceptable.

Incredibly dissatisfied with TEAC and this turntable right now. Also hope this motor problem doesn't become a common issue for those who own it.

Sorry to hear that you're having issue with your Teac TT, hopefully you can resolve it quickly, so far mine have no issue after 3 months.

Agree with Glenn/Beatcomber that the U-Turn Orbit is the only recent excellent performing affordable priced turntable out there. Any of the others, especially the Hanpin built tables, are a roll of the dice from the wild west of mfg, China. With the U-Turn your guaranteed to get your monies worth and then some with a high level of QC and customer support from a USA mfg.

BEATCOMBER! From VoxTalks??? How you doing? PM me!

To Jody: Given I am a "1971-stereo" kind of guy, how do today's specs constrast with all the idle-wheel/heavy cast platter turntables of that era? My old BSR sounded OK, my Miracord was great (never should have sold it), but was happy with my quartz-lock Hitachi in 1980.

Back to relevance of this thread: LOVE the look of the cherry TEAC...

It would be interesting to get a real-world W&F measurement from one of these (or dozens!) with one of the phone apps or something like Fremer uses. I have a hunch that the published spec is weighted or measured differently, and is unsuitable for comparison with old specs with more uniform measurement standards. I bet it's really more like .08...

Inside TEAC TN-300

Out of curiosity I open up bottom cover of TEAC TN-300.
I think it's acceptable for this price point and great second table for me, please share your opinions.

Over View.

Circuit Board.

Sanko Electric Motor.

Bottom of Tone Arm.

Anyone sees a hint of Hanpin yet?

Last edited:
It would be interesting to get a real-world W&F measurement from one of these (or dozens!) with one of the phone apps or something like Fremer uses. I have a hunch that the published spec is weighted or measured differently, and is unsuitable for comparison with old specs with more uniform measurement standards. I bet it's really more like .08...

I'll be doing exactly that soon.

Still keeping an eye on this thread. Has anyone had a chance to try this table with a better cartridge yet?

I suspect a used Empire 2000 E/III or ADC XLM would sound spectacular on this table. It would also be interesting to hear how a LOMC + SUT sounds on that table. Currently just getting some of my existing tables fixed up so won't be trying this myself any time soon. I never stick with stock carts hence my interest in how the table sounds with other carts.

Love the looks of these tables. Annoyingly can't get the TN-350 for less than $800 here in Australia. A little too much. The TN300 at $620 isn't a bad proposition though. My girlfriend will kill me if I get another table though. I need to get my current 5 tables down to just 2. :(

Last edited:
I am looking at getting a new turntable in Canada and right now its between the uturn orbit with the acrylic platter for $375 and the teac TN-300 for $460.

I love the look of both but is the teac worth the extra $85 over the Uturn?

I wonder who is going indentified TEAC TT is made by Hanpin? No one ?
I would like to know who made this tt as well.

Let me make this one point Taiwan is not China and it's a different country even though they are Chinese.

I listen to my music than listening to equipment, if there is acceptable quality with given price I'm fine with it and probably most people will be fine too that is why TN-300 is one of the best selling TT on Amazon and great reviews.

I don't understand why some people would say things about products that they don't even have experience with it. At least, please try it first.
Thank u.

I wonder who is going indentified TEAC TT is made by Hanpin? No one ?
I would like to know who made this tt as well.

Let me make this one point Taiwan is not China and it's a different country even though they are Chinese.

Hanpin is headquartered in Taiwan, but the company also has manufacturing plants in the People's Republic of China and in Singapore. It's my understanding that the turntables are built in the PRC.

Edit: The serial number label pictured at the start of this thread states that the Teac TN-300 is in fact made in Taiwan. If it's a Hanpin, that would imply that some of Hanpin's turntable production takes place in Taiwan rather than the PRC.

I listen to my music than listening to equipment, if there is acceptable quality with given price I'm fine with it and probably most people will be fine too that is why TN-300 is one of the best selling TT on Amazon and great reviews.

Much of the informed discussion surrounding the TN-300 concerns its 0.2% flutter spec, which is high enough that some listeners would find its performance unacceptable.

I don't understand why some people would say things about products that they don't even have experience with it. At least, please try it first.
Thank u.

Why should I bother, when my forty-plus years of experience in audio tells me that wow and flutter in excess of 0.1% will make it impossible for me to enjoy the listening experience? Specs won't tell you everything about a product's sound, but some of them can be useful in separating the wheat from the chaff.

Last edited:
Wow, the drive motor on that is tiny. Yea, it looks like a nice table with the pretty wood finish but my 44 year old Pioneer PL-41D specs blows the doors off of it. It also has quite a substantial motor in it. The motor on that Teac is smaller than one of the feet on it. Sorry, but I'm not impressed except for it's good looks.

BillWojo

Wow, the drive motor on that is tiny. Yea, it looks like a nice table with the pretty wood finish but my 44 year old Pioneer PL-41D specs blows the doors off of it. It also has quite a substantial motor in it. The motor on that Teac is smaller than one of the feet on it. Sorry, but I'm not impressed except for it's good looks.

BillWojo

In fairness to Hanpin -- or whoever built this turntable -- the motor looks very similar in size to the one that Technics used in its belt-drive turntables in the 1970s. AR and Weathers demonstrated many years ago that high motor torque didn't automatically lead to stable speed in a turntable; what mattered was the overall design of the system and the precision with which its parts were built.

Back
Top Bottom