TEAC TN-300 Belt Drive Turntable Initial Impression and Review

The motor in the Rega, Linn, Ariston etc is hardly bigger. In fact, I was wondering if you could tell me who made the motor, as I have a project that has been on the backburner awaiting a new motor, and I wanted to avoid the ubiquitous premotec.

By the way, Taiwan is not the name of the country.

I wonder who is going indentified TEAC TT is made by Hanpin? No one ?
I would like to know who made this tt as well.

It's nice looking table, although I like the TN-350 with the S-arm more.

TEAC is certainly not here from yesterday, and they do not hide their network, which is quite wide.
This brochure shows it clear, and where is their Domestic and Overseas Production Network
TEAC AUDIO (CHINA) CO., LTD. Hong Kong

DONGGUAN TEAC ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
Shang-Sha, Chang-An District, Dong Guan, Guang Dong, China

I would not bother much who did make this table at the end. Parts are certainly made in Japan (built-in phono equalizer amplifier, cartridge, motor ?) But since probably not fully manufactured/assembled in Japan there is also missing well known label plate at the back - 'Made in Japan'

Last edited:
It's nice looking table, although I like the TN-350 with the S-arm more.

TEAC is certainly not here from yesterday, and they do not hide their network, which is quite wide.
This brochure shows it clear, and where is their Domestic and Overseas Production Network
TEAC AUDIO (CHINA) CO., LTD. Hong Kong

DONGGUAN TEAC ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
Shang-Sha, Chang-An District, Dong Guan, Guang Dong, China

I would not bother much who did make this table at the end. Parts are certainly made in Japan (built-in phono equalizer amplifier, cartridge, motor ?) But since probably not fully manufactured/assembled in Japan there is also missing well known label plate at the back - 'Made in Japan'

Take a close look at the very first post in this thread -- the one with all the photographs. The ninth picture shows the serial number label with the words "Made in Taiwan." Since Japan is a high-priced place to manufacture and this turntable was built to an affordable price point, I doubt that very many of its parts came from Japan.

Take a close look at the very first post in this thread -- the one with all the photographs. The ninth picture shows the serial number label with the words "Made in Taiwan." Since Japan is a high-priced place to manufacture and this turntable was built to an affordable price point, I doubt that very many of its parts came from Japan.

Cool! So it looks those who are part of overseas Sales network are responsible for assembling and sales, at the same time.
Mystery solved :D

btw. I didn't say there are 'many' Japanese parts, but few.

Yup, I did the research. Stupid, really, should have relied on idle speculation :)

Have you (jaddy) found out where it is made yet?

This is like pulling teeth but if the label says the Teak is made in China my assumption would be it is made with Chinese parts in China. If it had been made in Japan with Japanese parts/material with the high cost of skilled labor it would triple the price tag of the Teak. Like many other AK members I can't afford to purchase every new model turntable that is offered every year. In fact I seriously doubt I will ever buy another turntable. But If I was still searching for a turntable I'd have to establish some type of criteria to weed out tables that are unlikely to meet my objective. If the only objective is for the new turntable to look pretty then the Teak might be a reasonable if not overpriced choice. If the actual performance specs turn out to be close to those published I'd have to eliminate the Teak as a possible choice knowing that I already have a turntable with much higher specs that well outperforms in this area. Really depends on your objective, lateral move, backwards move or move ahead to better performance and sound quality.

You can eliminate all you want without ever seeing or looking at the "Teak" table. See my other thread on measurements though first, please.

Hanpin is a bad word around here. Personally don't understand why folks think motors made in 2015 are worse than what was made in 1980. Technology took a giant step backwards I guess.

Oh... I'd still like to see the innards on a U Turn Orbit. Does anyone think the U Turn motor was made in "Amerika"? LOL

Might have to drop a couple of notes to get a U Turn to see what the fuss is about. Would have considered buying one myself, but it doesn't have a detachable headshell which to me is kind of brain dead.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but 0.06 is actually pretty respectable. I wish I could get one of these.

lico there are still millions of preowned turntables with superior 1980 technology available today that have detachable headshells. Technology didn't take a step backwards but instead some companies chose not to utilize high quality motors for example as a way to cut costs in mfg. Some of the excellent turntable motors date back to the mid 1960s such as the Sony TTS-3000, lets see Hanpin match one of those motors today.

Considering the price point compared other new, in production units, I think this is great performance and quality for the price. I date say its better than my Dual 1228 and Hitachi HT-354. Not sure vs my Denon DP-300F, definitely worse than my JVC QL-7. Not sure about my Realistic Lab 420

I am looking at getting a new turntable in Canada and right now its between the uturn orbit with the acrylic platter for $375 and the teac TN-300 for $460.

I love the look of both but is the teac worth the extra $85 over the Uturn?

I bought this turntable shortly after it's release (January), and at the time it was only $389 CAD. They really jacked up the price recently.

It's a winner on looks :yes:

(not speaking about AKers) Most people in this price range market for a TT will not hear the difference between 0.2 and 0.05 w/f just IMO

I used 0.05 because I believe that is the w/f on my near the bottom of the line Technics SL-23

-update-

Seems like w/f is <0.1

So I stand by what I said even more staunchly :thmbsp:

Teac TN-300 update

I'm still happy with my Teac TT, Problem free since I got it.i Now it has moved to my vacation home to enjoy my records while I'm on vacation.

Last edited:
So I'm now very happy with my TN-300 since getting my replacement.
However, I currently moved and now regret getting the cherry wood model. Anyone out there with a white TEAC they'd like to trade for the cherry? I'm in Toronto!

Back
Top Bottom