Teac V-800X belt replacement

seebert

Hi all. I have a brand new Teac V-800X cassette deck that's been is storage from new and the drive belts have "drooped" over time. I have new replacement belts and think I can see how to replace them but I'd be very grateful if anyone who has done this on this particular deck would chime in and confirm the procedure - or let me know what else I need to do to get the job done properly.

I'd rather ask now than mess up a new deck !!

Thanks and best to all, Mike.

Attachments

• Teacv800x.jpg
    Teacv800x.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 96
Okay so I've had another good look and this obviously isn't all there is to it. Darned if I can see a way to replace the belts without taking half of the machine to pieces :( The board on the right seems to be attached to other controls and doesn't just lift away as I'd hoped and the rear motor / flywheel support plate has more screws in awkward places than can be imagined. Surely it can't be that difficult? Helpppppppp.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Surely it can't be that difficult?

Uh huh well I should've known ... it sure can be. The entire cassette mechanism has to be removed from the chassis in one piece before you can strip it to replace the belts. Of course the circuit boards are in the way so you've got to take the whole d**** machine to bits :( Anyway I downloaded the full service manual (which doesn't tell you how to change belts by the way) so if anyone else needs it for their Teac V-800X drop me a PM.

Good listening and best to all, Mike.

Attachments

• Teacv800x_apart1.jpg
    Teacv800x_apart1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 101
  • Teacv800x_apart2.jpg
    Teacv800x_apart2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 102
Mike - i've been repairing consumer electronics for a lifetime (more or less) - i can't rememeber having seen one manual ever, with a guide to replace belt's , not one.

It is normal you have to remove the mech. entirely , not just for that purpose, but for any maintenance.

common issue is they require patience and photographic memory

I too, have worked on several Teac cassette decks. Removal of the cassette mech is the way to go. With that done, you can better inspect, clean, lubricate and change belts. I would suggest that you take picks along the way so you can put it back together correctly. I think that once this is done you will understand the reason for removal of the unit. Good luck and let us see the finished product. :thmbsp:

It's a bear to work on! :(

Hey there,

I know I'm late to the game, but I just swapped out the belts on my V-800X a few days ago. As others have mentioned, you have to pretty much take the deck apart, but you can probably get away with just loosening the front panel, and the power board will need to be unscrewed as well.

I have all 3 decks in the series...V700, V800-X and the V900-X. My fave deck is the 800, even though the capstan belt goes over time. I like to be able to control the record bias manually when recording tapes, as I was never a fan of the automated calibration control on the V900-X

There are 4 screws (top and bottom) of the mechanism that should come off, as well as a shim plate directly between the mechanism and the chassis. The Mechanism will come out not from the front of the deck, but more from the top side of the deck.

Take your time, and unplug cables as you need to. Take digital pictures of everything if you haven't done this before.

One thing: if your going to change out the belt for the flywheel, you may as well get the belt for the cam belt section that controls the head assembly that moves the heads up and down, as well as the eject control. That belt tends to go sooner than later... (If you can find the service manual, it will show you how to recalibrate this, as it can go wonky over time...)

Good luck! These machines are GREAT! When you get it running, it can make some really nice recordings...

Hi seebert,
I purchased a V-700 teac cassette deck which was not used for years and almost like new except that the belts were degraded. I could not take out the tape mechanism since I have only a little about tampering with these machines. While browsing the web to get a clue I stumbled upon AudioKarma and your experience with a V-800X and was delighted to see how you successfully managed to solve the issue. Now I have seen the self explanatory pictures posted by you. But still I did not get how to detach the tape mechanism from the main frame. I shall be very much grateful for your help

Regards
B.K. Nair

Anyway I downloaded the full service manual (which doesn't tell you how to change belts by the way

These two screws must first be unscrewed.

357pvs5.jpg

O.K.
Thank you very much. I shall come again after finishing the work.

Regards

B. K. Nair

For the next members who want to do this job, I just finished replacing the belts on my V-700. No need to disassemble, remove the bottom plate, unscrew and pull out the circuit board a little bit, then the mechanism can be pulled out without disconnecting. Just cut the small plastic holding flanges.

Back
Top Bottom