TEAC. What is the correct pronunciation?

hi all; during ,my numerous years in Asia, i recall the Japanese pronouncing Teac as Teh-akh.... TEAC is short for Tokyo Electric Audio Company, founded in mid 1956.
Teh-akh , not Klingon for us trekkies, is closest to Tee-ack in the west. blooeyz

So I'm at the local goodwill as usual on Saturday. was checking out a Nikko ND-790 cassette deck that I had never seen before but was totally gone functionally. Anyway, there is this guy trying out a homedics foot massager and he noticed what I was doing and asked about the brand. I told him Nikko is a great brand that's and not very well known. Anyway, we start talking about our finds at the goodwill. Seems he is into the Vintage audio as well. I mentioned I picked up a Teac CX-650R from this same very goodwill. When I pronounce Teac as "TEEK", and he didn't get it at first. Then he mentions "oh it's actually pronounced TEE-ACK". I said "oh I didn't know" and we continued on.

Just wanted to ask what the correct way to say Teac is. I've been saying "TEEK" ever since I had my first teac deck back in the late 80's. If what he says is true, then I at least learned something and he wasn't pompous about it either which was nice. If it's wrong, well I'll just stick to what I've been saying all along.
You are correct, it is "teak" like the wood. My reel to reel introduction page had the name shown as the wood. Elitists always wish to say things to make them sound more important. The typical audiophile will refer to "Dual" turntables as "due-al" The proper German will say "do-al" as in Dual Beer.

It's highly unlikely that TEAC is mispronouncing their own name. Even though it's been explained in this thread and others, several times, and verified, I called them up. The receptionist answered: "Good morning, TEE-ACK and TASCAM."

It's tee-ack.

Further: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEAC_Corporation (Pronounced TEE-ACK)

If you still don't believe me:

TEAC America, Inc.
1834 Gage Road
Montebello, CA 90640

Main Tel: 323-726-0303

It's highly unlikely that TEAC is mispronouncing their own name. Even though it's been explained in this thread and others, several times, and verified, I called them up. The receptionist answered: "Good morning, TEE-ACK and TASCAM."

It's tee-ack.

Further: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEAC_Corporation (Pronounced TEE-ACK)

If you still don't believe me:

TEAC America, Inc.
1834 Gage Road
Montebello, CA 90640

Main Tel: 323-726-0303
You have two problems with what you just submitted. The first is the company is California (remember what I said about elitists). The second is the experts in pronouncing the name is the mother company:

TEAC CORPORATION
1-47 Ochiai, Tama-shi,
Tokyo 206-8530, Japan

We're in the US, not in Japan.

Nevertheless, it's tee-akh in Japan, tee-ack in the US. It has never been "teek", anywhere in the world, ever.

Your insulting comments to all 40,000,000 Californians notwithstanding.

Last edited:
While we're at it, from my experience:

Asians pronounce Sony "sahn-y", not sow-ny.

I've also heard Pee-oh-neer, not pie-oh-neer.

And, technically, Onkyo is "On-kyo", not onk-yo.

Cheers
Larry B.

We're in the US, not in Japan.

Nevertheless, it's tee-akh in Japan, tee-ack in the US. It has never been "teek", anywhere in the world, ever.

Your insulting comments to all 40,000,000 Californians notwithstanding.
Actually there aren't 40,000,000 in California unless your voting there, and then there could be 100,000,000. The pronunciation of a Japanese firm is from the country of origin. Per my time in Yokosuka, Japan it is teak, just like the wood. Only someone from California would think they make decisions for the world. When are you leaving the United States? That seems to be the direction the state is taking.

An American businessman is checking into a hotel in London. After the business is completed, he looks at the desk clerk and asks, “Where is the elevator?”
The clerk looks at him and says pointedly, “The lift sir is down the hall, on your right.”
The man picks up his suitcase and looks at the clerk, “It’s elevator, we invented them you know.”
The clerk quickly retorts, “Yes sir, but we invented the language.”

When I was working at the camera store our Nikon rep, a Japanese gentleman, pronounced it NEEkon, or at least that's how I heard it through his heavy accent. Nikk-on makes sense but that's not what I heard.

Teac (teek) is a premium wood used for furniture and boat & ship decks. Teac (teeAK) is how the Japanese reps at the Navy Exchange in Subic Bay pronounced it. It's not a word or name, it's an acronym.

I say "teek", always have, always will. G'head and correct me, I'll just keep saying it back "teek", squinting, with a puzzled look on my face, like I am hearing the same thing out of you ;)

I also say Lie-nux for Linux. Boy does that piss people off. People love to say Lin-nix. To be fair, they are both wrong. Linus Torvalds who was one of the main developers of the Linux kernel named it after himself. In his Finnish accent, he pronounces it Lee-nooks. But, since he named it after himself, and his name is Linus, which I would pronounce Lie-nus, Linux becomes Lie-nux. The end. LOL

One has to love the Brits: Something that is spelt "Featherstonehugh" is pronounced "Fanshaw" & "Chalmondeley" is "Chumley"...
Aah yes, and I have heard Bison called buffalo, crazy, they don't even look the same, but that's Americans for you.

I've heard TeeAK as well but I always called it Teek, LOL! Of course, I'm from the Pittsburgh area where we have our own language at times!

My brother worked for Acoustico Enterprises in 1970, who were the first U.K. importer of their products. He was introduced to a Teac Senior Manager and they told him he was pronouncing the company name incorrectly; “it is not “Teak” but “Tee-ac””.

Back
Top Bottom