Teac X-10R problem ...

hotgas

Just got an X-10R for $15 as is. Now, it is running but quite fast at first and slowing down then stop after couple minutes. The fast forward/backward work quite well. What is wrong? Please help!

Nice score!

Don't know about the speed issue, but that Teac reel is worth your $15 all by itself. Looks to me like you'll have a fine deck after a bit of work.

Jealous?? You bet!

Andy,

I think this deck is a lot simpler than my other A3340. I like it that way though. Too bad I don't know how to make it work. Probably will put it on Ebay soon for a good home.:eek:

Maybe Vintage TX will chime in. He knows a ton about these RTRs.

I like the looks of those older RTRs, I have a Pioneer RT-1020L, but I'm told that the they got better as time went by and the decks from the 80s offer better sound. I sold a real nice Tascam 32 a few weeks back that I would have kept if it could have handled 10" reels.

So I'm always lookin', but not real hard.

Sounds to me that you have a bad/worn Capstan drive belt. They are cheap and easy enough to replace.
If you're not familiar with the inner workings of Teac tape decks, get a hold of a service manual for the X-10. Then call Teac parts dept. at 323-727-4840. I believe the belt costs $13 + shipping & tax.

That's a nice Teac:)
When you press play, does the 2 pinch-rollers engage directly or slowly go up against the capstan-axel ?

I'll check it tonight. Sometimes when I tried to do a "fast reverse" the left pinch roller dropped then the whole thing stopped. I then had to do a fast forward or alternated between the two modes a few times before the reverse did it right. A bad belt like Nitrous said?

Yes, it sounds like a bad drive-belt Don.
If you need some pointers taking it apart let me know.:)
On this model you go in from the back.

Last edited:
I just tried it tonight. The pinch rollers did not move at all. I am all ears for the introduction belt replacement this weekend. BTW, how come the new belt cost as much as my R2R? :rolleyes:

Don, if the capstans are not moving at all, probably the drive-belt.
$ 13.00 for the whole deck?:eek:
What a deal...
I would buy the original belt from Teac Don.
Some good instructions from Dan's Forum replacing the belt is here:
http://www.dantiques.com/tapedecks/x7rbelt/replacebelt.htm
Take a look and see what the weekend will bring.:)
Teac parts department: parts@teac.com
You also need head-cleaner, Q-tips and patience.
Let me know when you are ready for "surgery" Don.

Finally get to the heart of the belt. I can't post picture to show the progress due to software bug in AK. It is somewhat a little bit more difficult than I thought. Without Vintage's instructions I probably screw up more readily. Many and many thanks to Vintage. :thmbsp:

I also notice there is another belt to run the meter and wonder is it's worth the time/money to replace it? It still seems to be ok, though.

So you are inside your Teac today Don, that's great.:)
Did you replace the belt ?
The counter-belt if it's still working, clean the belt instead.:)
Was it tough to take the big board to the side Don ?

Vintage,

It is not difficult to get the board out. I am worried about putting it back on :) Just ordered the belt from TEAC today. I see a guy selling belt on Ebay but I believe buying directly thru TEAC is cheaper. And according toTEAC, they no longer make the counter belt so I guess I have no choice but to follow your direction again :)

Just be careful when installing the connections Don.
You did right buying a belt from Teac, this model need the correct thickness and length.
If you want to replace the counter-belt, measure it, maybe I have a new one here.:)

I received the new belt last night, spent about 1/2 an hour to put everything together. Same symptoms, the pinch rollers do not engage at all :dunno: I found the old belt very loose so the new belt probably helps a little but not enough to solve the problem. Help!!! Please ...

Sorry to hear that Don:(
When you press Play does the solenoid try to engage the pinch-rollers ?
Can you hear a clicking noise or totally quiet ?:)

Did you take the faceplate off and checked linkage for the pinch-roller.
Between the reel-tables are 2 solenoids Left smaller one is for pause function and the right bigger one is for both pinch-rollers.
There is a small arm conneted to both solenoids and a bigger plate below, check both linkages Don.
the can be gummed up.
If you lift both pinch-rollers with your fingers, is it any hesitation or get stcuk in up position ?
Another question, when you press play, does the VU-meter lights dim for 2-3 seconds ?

Sorry for all questions Don, but trying to figure out what's going on.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom