Teac X-2000 Cabinet Refinish

schwarcw

My first contribution to the stand alone tape forum is a project that I completed earlier this year. Many of you who own the so called wood cabinets that house the Teac X1000 and X2000 know the cabinets are junk. They are made of cheap, very lightweight wood with a cheap plastic vaneer. I recently decided to do an overhaul of my X2000 cabinet using some cherry wood laminate, some wood dye to keep the deep grain in the natural laminate and I used some wipe on Minwax Polyurethane semi gloss. I amazed myself with the end product. Total cost about $150. Everybody loves the before and after shots so here we go.

Here is the cabinent covered with the cherry wood laminate

MacandTeac023.jpg

TeacCabinet003.jpg

TeacCabinet004.jpg

Here is the cabinent with the wood dye applied. Note the depth of the grain.

MacandTeac026.jpg

macandteac018.jpg

Here is the finished product with the hand wiped poly semi gloss

MacandTeac022-1.jpg

MacandTeac020.jpg

Here is the completed cabinet with the X2000

MacandTeac046.jpg

MacandTeac045.jpg

Good fun!

Carl

A very worthy project and a very well done one at that. There is nothing like the look of real woood that is finished the right way, it looks beautiful

Nice work! If my A-7030 was functional I would refinish it also... but it is dead as a doornail, along with the damned SOny TC-650 that keeps WANTING to work but somehow failing.....

Gunny

Thanks for the compliments guys! I was hoping to see some other folks jump in with their Teac refinishing.

Carl

That looks awesome..Say..I have a TEAC 3300 what are you doing next weekend.LOL....Honesty your cabinet is beautiful.:thmbsp:

Teac X-2000 Cabinet

My first contribution to the stand alone tape forum is a project that I completed earlier this year. Many of you who own the so called wood cabinets that house the Teac X1000 and X2000 know the cabinets are junk. They are made of cheap, very lightweight wood with a cheap plastic vaneer. I recently decided to do an overhaul of my X2000 cabinet using some cherry wood laminate, some wood dye to keep the deep grain in the natural laminate and I used some wipe on Minwax Polyurethane semi gloss. I amazed myself with the end product. Total cost about $150. Everybody loves the before and after shots so here we go.

Here is the cabinent covered with the cherry wood laminate

MacandTeac023.jpg

TeacCabinet003.jpg

TeacCabinet004.jpg

Here is the cabinent with the wood dye applied. Note the depth of the grain.

MacandTeac026.jpg

macandteac018.jpg

Here is the finished product with the hand wiped poly semi gloss

MacandTeac022-1.jpg

MacandTeac020.jpg

Here is the completed cabinet with the X2000

MacandTeac046.jpg

MacandTeac045.jpg

Good fun!

Carl
Nice work Carl, I just initiated the process of contacting a woodworker to start a rebuild on an X-1000 cabinet. Any advise?

Back
Top Bottom