Teac X-2000R Blue LEDs

Since the counter numbers are green, I would have tried green if I tried anything other than soft white.

It depends on whether SMD or 5mm LED bulbs were used, but if the latter, I've had success using colored covers (as pictured) to 1. diffuse the light and 2. yield an appropriate color (e.g. use yellow or green on the blue LED to get that vintage blue-green illumination). I've also experimented with glass spray paints, but they don't hold up as well as these colored condoms do. The only caveats are that there needs to be sufficient room (VU meter housings can be tight) and that they significantly cut down the amount of light (usually a good thing).
71gt4DRk3sL._SL1001_.jpg

Or as an alternative, you could purchase green LEDs similar to the one shown in the link below and not need to use a colored condom to change the color. The cost for these LEDS might actually be less than the cost of the condoms.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/inolux/HTOV511040UTG/1830-1017-ND/7604633

The light output of an LED can be adjusted by changing the value of the resistor wired in series with the LED which determines the current flow through the LED..

I like the blue look and it was a split second decision to have the mod done and the color selection. The deck was in the shop for other reasons. Green would have matched the counter as jberger noted. But I was hesitant with the green, silver, black wood look. I would have liked more dispersion from the LEDs themselves.

A fellow on the Tapeheads forum found these LED replacements for axial lamps which I had never seen before. They are available in cool white and green colors, can operate over a range of both DC and AC voltages and draw very little current. The fact that they are constructed as a strip of surface mounted LEDs should also provide more distributed illumination than a single LED would.

https://www.parts-express.com/Search...itesearch=true

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see those axial lamps light in the meters. Dispersion will be much better, even flow, balanced color.

Back
Top Bottom