TEAC X10R Rewind Issues

AMX390

Looking for some help with a minor rewind issue on an x10r that is otherwise excellent. When I rewind to the right, everything works great and rewinds very fast. When it stops, the tensioner arms ends up like this:
DSCN7879.JPG
It will play or rewind again, no problems. When I rewind to the left reel, the tensioner arms end up like this:
DSCN7880.JPG

It leaves slack in the tape and makes the micro switch on the tensioner arm, requiring me to manually tighten up the tape so that the micro-switch breaks, allowing it to play or rewind again. I have tried every combination of spring adjustment on the tensioner arms to no avail and causing other problems such as shutting down during a rewind from hitting the micro switch. What other adjustment can I make to eliminate the slack on a left side rewind? Thanks in advance.

I had a similar if not the same problem.

Does the tape rewind as strong and fast as fast forward?? If not, most likely you need to clean the commutator in the left motor. And.... I can tell you that's a delicate job. Never fear though, Sam Palermo aka Skywavebe wrote never fail instructions as to how to do it. If you haven't heard of Sam, he's the guru of gurus.

I am the second owner of an X10r that I bought in the early 80's. I've seen a myriad of problems. When I lived in the states, I repaired/aligned a number of machines. I don't do many now - there just aren't many in Panama.
Aerwyk

Can you provide a link to those instructions from Skywavebe? I have not been able to find them. I have a weak left reel motor on an X1000R.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom