Teac X7: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Discussion in 'Tape' started by ToasterBin, Aug 6, 2009.

1. ToasterBin

ToasterBin Toasterbin Subscriber

Hi,

This is my first post to this site as I am getting more involved. I am fairly new to the wonderful world of R2R but do already have several decks. I have an opportunity to pick up a Teac X7 for relatively cheap ($50)--I intend to use it just to play and test tapes. I have seen mention of problems with the capstan motors--the owner says it low miles (driven by a little old lady and only on Sundays...) on it.

Thoughts?

2. audiojones

audiojones Jonesin' for audio Subscriber

Hi -

I'm sure you will hear otherwise but I wouldn't recommend it. The undersized capstan motor is prone to failure and, while it is still available and easy to replace, it is rather expensive. I have also seen control board and power supply failures on these machines that occur in conjunction with the motor failures at times. IMHO I find it's best to stick with the A series of Teac machines - they sound great, are well built and will remain trouble free for years with a minimum amount of maintenance.

*ADD-ON* After re-reading your post I noticed that it's only $50. For that amount I would get it if it's working properly. When they work they are very nice, and you may get lucky and get a few years out of it. I wouldn't recommend putting much into it if it doesn't work, however.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  3. ToasterBin

Thanks

Yes, for the $50 bucks, it is harder to pass up. I've got other, better decks which I will put money into in the long run. Maybe I'll use this deck as my learning deck...

4. vinyldavid

vinyldavid Proud Jaguar Owner! Subscriber

The X7 should be a great deck...the X-3 is my 7" daily driver.

5. ToasterBin

Thanks, again

David,

Thank you. I appreciate your response. Do you know the difference between the X3 and the X7?

6. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

If minty condition and in proper working order, it's an OK deck. Remember, that capstan motor is very prone to short lifespan (it's also an over $125 part now and often takes the control board with it). This series was not intended to be built as a Teac, it was designed to be a Radio Shack deck. Demand forced Teac to sell them under their name. When all is working well, they sound very nice. Motor switches are also a known weakness of this design.

7. vinyldavid

I think that the X7 can handle XLII reel tape.

Agreed, it is not the strongest transport, but it sure does sound nice....

8. ToasterBin

Replacement

Kent,

Thanks for your comments. The question then is: if I do replace the capstan and motor controller board, will I then have a more substantive deck or will that refurbished deck also be prone to a short lifespan?

9. RickB

RickB On the Road to Find Out

That would have been the X-3 anyway and not the X-7, which is a 7" version of the X-10...the X-3 was a much simpler deck...if your comments about RS are even true at all, which is the first time I've ever seen anyone make such a statement about the X-7...not saying it couldn't be true, but I've never seen anything credible to that account...The real story, as I know it, is that Radio Shack had Teac build a simple deck for them that was marketed as the TR3000 deck...it was an X-3 under the skin, only the cosmetics were changed a bit...

Then there was the X-3R, which added auto reverse..same with the X-7R, etc...

I have an X-700R w/DBX and for all extents and purposes it is a shrunken X-1000R...

But, I'll disagree with some of the prevailing winds here, I have an A-2300SX and an A-4300, and I feel that the sound quality of the X-700R is better than them...and much better than my Akai X-1810 or Sony TC-366....

I replaced the belt on my X-700R a while back by following what used to be a sticky here in this forum (what happened to it?) on changing the Teac's belt...cleaned and lubed everything and I've not had a moment's trouble with mine....I bought it off ebay nearly a decade ago and it's been a great deck...and is teamed up with a Teac AN-180 for listening to Dolby encoded factory pre-recorded tapes...man, those things sound great....

At $50 for an X-7, I think that's a no-brainer...get the thing and worry about it later...just go through it and service it according to Teac's instructions, put a new belt in it, and use it...keep it clean and dust free inside so nothing ever overheats, service it regularly, and perhaps you will never have a moment's problem with the motors...

Good Luck and have fun...

10. RickB

I also just checked, HiFi engine has some of the service manuals for the X-7 series...

11. ToasterBin

Rick, my thoughts exactly. Fortunately, it also includes the user manual as this was the original owner. Pictures that he sent are of a deck in pristine shape

12. RickB

And, which variety of X-7 is it? X-7 or X-7R, Mk I or Mk II?

13. ToasterBin

He didn't (or perhaps he really did) specify--the picture looks like X-7.

14. RickB

Well, the X-7 is actually simpler than the X-7R as it doesn't have auto reverse, so it should be a bit easier to maintain...

15. ToasterBin

Rick--thanks for all your input. I'll let you know what I think.

16. vinyldavid

Just a note on the RatShack comment...Sam Palermo has told me that the X-3 and Tascam 22-2 were transports that were originally designed for RS...and, looking at the X7, I was wrong, and it is a shrunken X10....or so the transport controls make me think so...

17. steerpike2

steerpike2 Super Member

The X7 (and X7R) are dual capstan & have the same headblock as the X10
    The electrical specs are identical to the X10.