Tears For Fears"...What's your take on this band?

Tears for Fears was part of the background music in some rather bad times in my life in the 1980's. Wasn't their fault, can't blame them for me being stupid.

I've found "Songs from the Big Chair" and a "Best of" compilation during my Thrift CD mining. Their music was good and like others have said, it hits the spot when the mood strikes.

Mark Gosdin

Because of all these new insights...will def take a more serious delve into their songs and what they had to say. Have only been into the melody side of their efforts.

Really amazing how this site is like studying a painting or a serious piece of classic whatever. The more you take to time to look closer, the more you appreciate it. Maybe some day I'll understand a Japanese Rock Garden:confused:...another thread for another time, eh?:D

Thanks AK'ers!

Q

I have always enjoyed Tears For Fears music. Their music has a place in my heart for sure. If anyone reading this hasn’t listened to much of their music, give them a try! I think you will have fun :D

My older 12 yrs old daughter heard (a remake of) 'Mad World' and mentioned to me. When hear the original from my vinyl. She was blown away by the original from the band.
BTW she still doesn't really know what's a vinyl record, because kept I telling her this was the 'Big' CD format, iRecord format daddy listen to. This is the real music.

As most people I got into them after Songs from the Big Chair. Their debut album The Hurting is very good as is Sowing the Seeds of Love is good. Elemental recorded after one of the two members who wrote the music departed the band is another underrated outing.

As far as I'm concerned, Tears for Fears was a duo. Not uncommon in the 1980's. Their track that I like best is Mad World.

I heard it again not too long ago watching an old series on Netflix - think it was X Files. I never saw a single X Files episode during it's 8 or 9 season run but I wound up binge watching the entire thing. There was some good, interesting music featured in that show.

Last edited:
I have several of their albums.

Mad World from The Hurting is a brilliant song. And the cover shot for that album is equally as good. (poor little kid- you can feel the pain without seeing his face)
Songs From the Big Chair is excellent and so is the Seeds of Love- Woman in Chains is a standout track on it IMO.

The Seeds of Love is a demo worthy album . Songs From the Big Chair is quite good too . Orzabal's solo album Tomcats is awesome .

As far as I'm concerned, Tears for Fears was a duo. Not uncommon in the 1908's. Their track that I like best is Mad World.

I heard it again not too long ago watching an old series on Netflix - think it was X Files. I never saw a single X Files episode during it's 8 or 9 season run but I wound up binge watching the entire thing. There was some good, interesting music featured in that show.
I always love taking a nostalgic trip back to the 1908's. :D

Listened to them casually back then.I picked up the lp Songs From The Big Chair a few years ago but really haven't listened to it yet.

My older 12 yrs old daughter heard (a remake of) 'Mad World' and mentioned to me. When hear the original from my vinyl. She was blown away by the original from the band.
BTW she still doesn't really know what's a vinyl record, because kept I telling her this was the 'Big' CD format, iRecord format daddy listen to. This is the real music.

I agree. That "Mad World" remake is so lame. Not well done to me. Or at least, not to my tastes. So, why not listen to the original? It's much better!

A great band too. I believe I have all the Tears For Fears releases. I got into them from the start. Now that Roland and Curt have been back together for a while, I was hoping for new music (which they keep hinting at), but it's yet to materialize. One day, hopefully?

Oh yea, one of my favorites:

Back
Top Bottom