Tears For Fears"...What's your take on this band?

I love every wants to rule the world but the interpretation is most bizarre.
It was a great driving song (I remember it, after leaving my lover, flying down the Garden State Parkway at 80 mph in my black Saab Turbo).

Both my teenage kids have heard of them and can sing their more popular tunes. So they've grown on me a bit even though I just tolerated them in the 80s because they were everywhere. Really good production.

Those of you who know me and my impeccable musical taste can rest assured that Tears for Fears is OK to like.

Mad World? Took me till post #45 to investigate what that song is. Turns out I really like that song but had no idea the name of it or the artist. That Jasmine did almost bring a tear to my eye.....very cool.

At the end of my "sound techie" days in the late 90s, I provided a PA and stage monitor for a Mayfield show in a local nightclub.
Mayfield was the band Curt Smith started after Tears For Fears.

A pretty good show with absolutely no one in attendance.
Well, a couple of fan girls busting at the seams (both figuratively and literally) swooning to every vocal utterance.

The music was of the same ilk with acoustic versions of their fan's favorites peppered throughout.

It's interesting how a small turnout can really spotlight the innerworkings of a touring band.
They gotta give it their all when they don't feel inspired and the entourage is squirming because the talent is looking for someone to blame.
Their sound tech left a Ahmad Jamal CD in my player he used to sound check the system with. Funny the things you remember.

I have seen them twice in concert they sound really good blew out my speakers back 1985 why listening to them

Love them. Quite a lot of their early stuff made me think that Roland had suffered abuse from his mother as a child.

Saw a televised studio concert recently after they had got back together, & was quite embarrassed by Curt's voice. Roland's wasn't that great. I supposed it happens to all of us. Recorded the concert & have since deleted it.

I listen to them regularly - particularly Famous last words & enjoy watching the Going to California concert on DVD. Oletta Adams is unbelievable. Nobody has mentioned Woman in chains & Me & my big ideas. Two of the most atmospheric recordings in my collection.

Saw them live "Seeds of Love" tour. One of the best concerts I've been to. Great vocals and accompanying musicians. Pale Shelter is probably my all time TFF favorite, but many of their songs are top notch from the 80s into the 90s. Even my 16 year old son loves them.

Use to work with lady who would spin Tears for Fears "Songs from the Big Chair" CD every day at work. Good album but everyday?
Fortunately I did not have to hang around the office all day … spent most of my time in the Lab. Would have driven me up a wall.
Own two copies of album on Vinyl … one legacy and one MFSL. I found that I could listen to the album again after not hearing it for 10 years.

Unique instrumentation in this video done on a farm in northern Indiana:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There were quite a few bands making wonderful songs in the 80's.
Perhaps Tears tallied up a couple more than the other popular artists of the day.
A unique period, the eighties.

Back
Top Bottom