*Teaser Pics* My take on a Miata Vintage Console

THOR

Fearless Prophet
Well as you all know I am restoring a 91' Miata. She was in rough shape so it is taking a lot of work and $$$$. I am a bit on the compulsive side so I am even tweaking and improving things that don't need fixing like the interior. I really wanted one of these Vintage Consoles from Japan but they are major dollars, around $500 to be exact:

So I decided to try and DIY my own version and it came out quite nice and I am pretty excited about it:

This is a stock 91' console:

I bought a sheet of 1/8" plastic from Parts Express and covered both the square shifter hole and the ashtray/drinkholder one. It seemed like just a hole to collect dirt and junk so I got rid of it:

Used sandable epoxy to attach the plastic and smooth over the edges like bondo:

While the family was out all night at a cheering competition with my camera (so no pics of the rest of the process) I sanded it down, measured and cut a round shifter hole.

Then I covered the console in black speaker carpet from Parts Express using a lot of patience and contact cement to mold it to the curves. I had to trim the ends of the armrest part so that it would fit after making it wider due to the carpet.

I added a new leather shift boot held down with a vintage Cobra shifter ring, I got the bolts from the hardware store and polished them to match the ring.

Added a chrome power window switch plate.

And the black button is my new horn button. I botched up the clockspring in intalling my new Momo steering wheel (the hurrier I go the behinder I get ;) ) so I couldn't make the horn button work on the steering wheel (though I figured out how to now) but I actually like where I have the horn button now better than on the wheel since the car is a standard my hand will be right near it and it will actually be easier to push than it being on the steering wheel.

I added a padded leather armrest to top it off and that is it.

Alltogether I spent about $160 and a lot of work and I am very happy with the results:

Looks great Thor!

My brother had a buddy who wired his horn to a button on top of his shifter and when someone would cut him off he would just sit back and drive like normal with his thumb depressing the button while he travelled behind the person who cut him off. Gotta be a little unnerving to drive in front of someone who's blasting you with their horn for 5 miles.

Jay

Looks great. Are the crayons for when you bored.

Wow that's a nice DIY project. It turned out really well too. Great job. :thmbsp:

That's the woman and her daughter's scrapbooking stuff, they also have a big tool caddy full of stuff, they go to classes. I was using their stuff to make my GF a nice Valentines Card ;) They were so impressed with it they wanted me to start going to class with them :mad: Not my fault I was voted most artistic in my senior yearbook :D

That looks F&^%$#G cool THOR!!!!!...I am waiting patiently for da finished product ...just as much as you are!!!!!!! :banana:

OH!!!!! by the way...the little green things in the one picture.... with the little round circles...dont run with those :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone, now that i have parts I can really start moving, looking forward to driving around top down on that first warm spring day!!!! :banana:

Hey Thor if you ever want or need any ABS plastic or automotive stuff like gauges, lights, whatever, we toss it out all the time. I'd be glad to keep a box on the side and send it to ya when it fills up.

Back
Top Bottom