Tech HiFi today - an article on one of the AK family

Thanks for sharing nice read, Being from the East Coast I visited a couple different Tech HiFi stores in the 80's and then they were gone. I bought my first decent tape deck from them made by Toshiba when I was 18 or 19.

Way cool! I helped put myself through college in the early 80's working at Tech Hifi in Saugus Mass.

Maybe 10-15 years ago I was driving in Nashua NH and I saw a Tech Hifi sign. I dropped in, and it was an actual Tech Hifi store, up and running. I asked them if they were related to the original, and they said they were, that they had just been on haitus for a couple of decades. I don't know if they're still there.

bs

I was there at the original "demise". Some of the Tech stores (in Boston area) were reopened under the Lectra City name. There was an outfit in NH which had use of the Tech HIFI name, like 2 or 3 stores, so agrees with my memory, except it was more like mid to late 80s, which makes it around 30 years ago.
Also, although they moved, Q-audio in Cambridge opened in the original Tech HIFI location next to MIT, then moved to Central Square, Cambridge. If I happen to be in the area, I will drop in and exchange "war" stories.

Hi Brian....the article Jim posted is about my store in Hanson. Are you sure it was 10-15 years? You probably know the original company entered bankruptcy in 1983. Prior to obtaining the domain we did extensive research see if the 'name' existed. Very interesting. We have people who stop in or call from all over the US.... great to hear you are from the. "Original'...

Hi Mark,

10-15 years, give or take. Maybe a little more.

Yeah, I'm aware the original went bankrupt, which is why I did a double take when I saw the sign. The impression I got from whomever I talked to was that they somehow had some kind of rights to the name. But that was years ago, and I'm pretty sure they're not there anymore, so who know what happened.

I was there when things started heading south. I remember there was a lot of theft happening in the store I worked at, kind of glad I didn't have any keys because they came in and cleaned house one day, pretty much fired everybody that had after hours access to the place.

I have many fond memories of my time there, and still have some of the gear I bought while I was there. That place was a dream job for me at that time in my life.

Kudos to you for resurrecting the name, and the spirit of the place. You know John Strohbeen, at Ohm Acoustics, had something to do with the original, right? You might want to give him a call sometime. Heck, you should probably be selling Ohm speakers out of your shop!

bs

Thanks for sharing.

Used to frequent one in Royal Oak years ago.

Nice selection and knowledgeable salesmen.

Back
Top Bottom