1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Tech in Northern CA - Anyone use Analog Engineering Associates?

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by louisjames, Apr 19, 2017.

1. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

Was wondering if anyone from Northern CA have had any experience with this repair facility:

http://aeaaudio.com/

Thanks
    Jon

2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

If this is the shop headed by Wes Dooley, it can be recommended. He knows vintage pro and high end audio well from that era.

3. ferninando

ferninando AK Subscriber Subscriber

only now from what I read in AK. Seems to be a good outfit that knows what they are doing.

4. louisjames

Thank you Kent. In this area, Sertech is pretty good, L&M is hit or miss. There's Arden (Classic Audio) in the East Bay and World of Sound in Marin. I'll probably end up sending the unit to Audio Classics as they've always done good work. But would love to find someone really good in this area. I don't think Wes Dooley is involved in this. I know he does great work on ribbon mics though!

KentTeffeteller likes this.
  5. fthedj

fthedj AK Member Subscriber

I can't recommend these guys enough - I have had 3 different amplifiers cleaned and electronically restored by them and am thrilled with the results on each. One was a Fisher 400 and the other 2 were locally manufactured Williamson amps from the 50s.

Service is friendly, reasonably priced and with a pretty quick turnaround. For each restoration, they give you reports with include distortion and other measurements both before and after restoration and compared to manufacturer's specs.

6. louisjames

thank you fthedj -- i of course got the name wrong in the title and just fixed it. it's actually Analog Engineering Associates. looks like a good outfit so will give them a try. really don't want to ship my preamp x-country.

7. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Correction: The shop owned by Wes Dooley is Audio Engineering Associates. He does awesome ribbon microphone repairs. His new ribbon microphones are the best version of the RCA 77DX since RCA discontinued making them.

sdw54 likes this.
  8. chadbang

chadbang Well-Known Member

I'll throw in a recommendation for AKer "Tinman" who is a top flight technician in Los Angeles. Throw him a private message. Very happy with his services which were fairly priced and his work is impeccable.

9. louisjames

thanks chadbang. i was trying to remember who that was as the question about "who was that really great tech in LA" came up recently. there was also a first-rate guy in San Diego, but i can't for the life of me remember his name.

10. BassKulcha

BassKulcha AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice guys, but personally I've had some issues with their communications and quality of work. I think they might've just had a really bad series of months—I know others have highly recommmended them.

I would't use them again, unfortunately, but YMMV...

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

darkblue94 likes this.