Techie question??

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I'm in the process of buying a Mac 1900 receiver. I'm curious as to why it's rated power ( 55 watts) is no different at 4 or 8 ohm loads? Is this simply the way Mac rates their gear or is it an electrical reality? How can the output power not increase when the load goes from 8ohms to 4 ohms?

Waiting with baited breath

Mike

Why are Mc's rated the same ? why is the sky blue ? Cuz they just are :p: Now what the hell are you gonna do with a 1900 :rolleyes: :p:

The sky is blue because it is that portion of the spectrum most visible to the naked eye.

Pro is using the McIntosh to replace the beloved Sherwood I sold him last winter

Alan;)

As CELT mentioned, most McIntosh gear has auto-former or transformer coupled outputs. Thus, the same power is available at each impedance's respective output.

Originally posted by opt80
The sky is blue because it is that portion of the spectrum most visible to the naked eye.

Alan;)

Alan,

That's actually not it. The human eye is most sensitive to a wavelength around 5600 nanometers which is bright green light, not blue The blue sky thing comes from refraction of water vapor molecules or something like that which has a wavelength/size association with blue light.

The 1900 is direct coupled without autoformers. Does your unit have a four/eight ohm switch on the rear connection panel? The 1900 usualy put out about 70 watts. It is very close to the integrated MA6100 in design.

Ron-C

I haven't actually bought it yet so I don't know about any 4 or 8 ohm switch. The 55 watt rating comes from Roger Russells website so I'm assuming that's the spec sheets rating.

Mike

You are right a 1900 can do 70W into 4 ohms - BUT - it is not listed to do it by McIntosh due to regulatory (at the time) conditions, it would overheat and shut down at 70W.

Back
Top Bottom