Technically, you could get music from this tube

Dingman

Do you know where your towel is?
Subscriber
A little on the high end of $ for a USB Drive, but it is 3.0!
Found it on that auction site.
upload_2017-10-15_12-17-33.png
upload_2017-10-15_12-15-56.png

For those of us that are too young to have grown up with (WORKING) vacuum tubes these are wonderful pieces of ART! (Steam punk ascetics aside).
HOWEVER! a GLASS envelope under a high vacuum is BREAKAGE CITY! (unless the tube has a cage around it).

Broken shards of glass inside my pocket or my computer case is not FUN, just the thought of cut fingers creeps me out! :)

Enjoy these but realize the "danger" of broken glass.

Mark T. :music:

Fun Stuff!

Ya, I don't like the idea of glass in my pocket either.

Ive seen a few of these Steam Punk goodies with plastic envelopes replacing the glass. I'm guessing fake tube guts also. Cool though.

This picture impressed me. A steam powered turntable. I'm guessing you would need to run the volume up some to get over the engine running. Then there is the warm up time waiting for steam to build up. :D
index.png

As someone who has a small model steam engine I can tell you that the speed regulation would be terrible. Possibly it is driven by a motor mounted underneath. I see a wire running under the chassis. Look under the copper plate with the linkage to the valve. I think there is a switch mounted there.
Steam engines are surprisingly quiet, nothing like an internal combustion engine.
BillWojo

Good deal on the plastic envelope idea, this removes All the breakage issues :thumbsup:without sacrificing too much original "authenticity" (maybe a great idea for some plastic fabricator?) :idea:
"Want that vacuum tube look without the fragile glass?, try our new rugged plastic enclosures".
Mark T. :music:

Back
Top Bottom