Technics 1200 GAE Review

JasonV

Hi Folks -

Not been on any audio forum since about 2005 or so, however I think I should probably write something about the GAE, (and maybe this is a good time to get back in).

For some context my other components are the following:

H/K Receiver
Jensen TF-3 Acoustic suspension loudspeakers w/Klipsch bookshelf running in parallel, (these have very equal "speed" of the TF-3s, so this works well.
Denon DL-110 in this setup

Also have used a 1200Mk2 in this setup for several years.

This is not your father's 1200. I have been a fan of Technics DDs for years and have owned several, including both a 1900 and 1600 from late 1970s. Forget everything you know about these TTs. This TT is really in a different league.

Many pro-belt drive folks have long argued that the DD "cogging" is problematic for any number of reasons. Rarely, have I read any good articulation of what the exact problem this causes, however. In my experience, the speed variations caused by AC motors that are responding to small frequency variations in the line have always caused more negative effects to the reproduction to the sound much more so than whatever minute harmonics that might be introduced by motor cogging. After hearing the GAE, I think I might just understand what the belt drive folks are talking about. Whatever engineering improvements Technics made to reduce or eliminate the cogging clearly has brought this turntable to a new level of performance. It is a serious audiophile table, well worth its 4k US price.

The detail and imaging are top notch. By comparison, my MK2 sounds dark, and I NEVER considered it such. Many records played sound as if I have not heard them before. Separation of instruments, vocal articulation, depth and width of soundstage, etc. are exceptional, and this is with the $300 DL-110. I cannot imagine how this table might sound with a serious LOMC. As much as I love the Denon, this cart even sounds completely different on this table as compared to the MK2, and in a good way. As for cartridge selection, you can pretty much run anything on this table, as the magnesium arm includes 2 additional counterweights that can be added for heavier carts.

I am only a few days into this evaluation, and will write more as time permits. So far, so VERY good. Technics got this one right.

Jason

"After spending 4000 dollars everything sounds good. Just kidding!"

Ha! Buyers remorse is a bitch, isn't it...;-)

Actually convincing the wife to allow me to spend 4k on it is what makes everything sound good!

Seriously, just played my 40 year old copy of A Trick of the Tail...A record I know very well. It never sounded this good.

Thanks for the review. I'd have to see the results of bench-testing in a lab before I'd consider buying a $4K turntable, but that's just me.

How does it compare with other turntables at the same price level?

To be fair, all of those are belt driven units. Nothing against them, and perhaps several are very good in their own right, but not what I was looking for. Other audiophile DDs are tables such as the VPI, (30k), and the Rockport, (75k). 4k is cheap compared to either. Neither of those options I could afford, and probably would not spend that $$$$ if I could.

I prefer DD overall for a few reasons: 1. The table will outlive me, (my MK2 I owned for 11 years, and I did not buy it new); 2. No fan of AC motor speed issues, (to me, this makes any multi thousand dollar table less than attractive); 3. Generally, they are far less finicky to setup than very exotic belt driven units.

How does it compare with other turntables at the same price level?

To be fair, all of those are belt driven units. Nothing against them, and perhaps several are very good in their own right, but not what I was looking for. Other audiophile DDs are tables such as the VPI, (30k), and the Rockport, (75k). 4k is cheap compared to either. Neither of those options I could afford, and probably would not spend that $$$$ if I could.

I prefer DD overall for a few reasons: 1. The table will outlive me, (my MK2 I owned for 11 years, and I did not buy it new); 2. No fan of AC motor speed issues, (to me, this makes any multi thousand dollar table less than attractive); 3. Generally, they are far less finicky to setup than very exotic belt driven units.
So that's a don't know?

So that's a don't know?

^^^How mature. (I could say a lot more, but neither feel obliged to, nor would it matter to someone with this level of maturity).

Grow up.

Just reading through the pdf of the manual and had a little chuckle. It says to not use "an electric screwdriver or impact wrench to tighten the platter screws. Yup, let me get out my pneumatic impact wrench set at 100psi to get those pesky screws good 'n tight... :rflmao:

So that's a don't know?

^^^How mature. (I could say a lot more, but neither feel obliged to, nor would it matter to someone with this level of maturity).

Grow up.
I'm presuming, then, you haven't compared it with any other turntables at the same price point, only a cheaper budget one. That doesn't seem balanced to me.

Drive systems don't matter, by the way. Neither you, me, nor anyone else would be able to pick which was which in a blind test, assuming cartridges and arms were the same.

I'm presuming, then, you haven't compared it with any other turntables at the same price point, only a cheaper budget one. That doesn't seem balanced to me.

Drive systems don't matter, by the way. Neither you, me, nor anyone else would be able to pick which was which in a blind test, assuming cartridges and arms were the same.

Of course we would. These DDs starts and stops at about 90 degrees rotation. Show me a BD that don´t take minutes to get to the right speed. :)

I just took delivery of my GAE last Thursday. I have two TTs to compare it with: SL1200 Mk2 with full KAB mods, and a VPI Prime. Although I have listened a lot already, these comments are very early impressions. For the record, I used the same Ortofon Cadenza Black for comparison in all cases. The GAE sounds brighter, more open, more air than the Mk2, but the difference is not night and day. The older table still sounds very good all things considered. It is very possible that on a lesser system, the difference might not be noticeable. Comparing the GAE to the Prime the differences are more nuanced. The GAE is again brighter, more air, with more detailed highs. The Prime has more weight, better bass (both depth and definition) and offers a deeper sound stage. Comparing DD to BD side by side the difference is easy to hear. The DD is crisper, has timing and pace that is as precise as digital, the BD is warmer, almost organic. Both TTs are very quiet with no discernible wow, flutter, or rumble. Black backgrounds. Sitting on the same maple butcher block table and thumping with knuckles, isolation is about the same. Depending on your preferences and the characteristics of associated equipment, you could not do badly with either of these two tables. It should be noted that my Prime is controlled by Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner ($700), has a periphery ring ($1,000), is double belted ($100) and has a Counter Intuitive ($50) to aid set up. So as it sits it cost considerably more than the GAE. The GAE (or forthcoming G version, which will be functionally identical to the GAE) is the better buy. A lot has been written about the Panasonic decision to leave the basic design and controls on the new GAE much as before. For me that was a good decision because in terms of ease of set up and use the GAE (and the Mk2) are far and away superior.

Associated equipment: Conrad Johnson ARTsa amp, ET5 preamp, and TEA2MAX phono stage; Sony AR2-SS speakers.

Thanks for the review. I'd have to see the results of bench-testing in a lab before I'd consider buying a $4K turntable, but that's just me.

When Paul Miller tested it for Hi-Fi News magazine in the UK, he found it to be the best performing turntable he's ever measured.

Back
Top Bottom