Technics 1200 pre-amp question

islandscope

Hello, I'm fairly new to the vinyl world and I recently bought a used technics SL-1200MK2 on eBay (from a well reviewed dealer that guaranteed fully tested and operational) and I'm having trouble getting clean sound out of it.

I've been using an Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB that has a Line output that goes into my Hercules 4MX dj controller so I can mix vinyl with mp3s. I got the technics 1200 to replace the audio technica, but I guess I would need a pre-amp before it can go into the hercules controller. So I bought a pre-amp but it doesn't seem to help, it's an Art DJPREII (ASIN# B000AJR482) but perhaps I bought the wrong one, it looks like there's a nearly identical one that is RIAA-EQ.

I also tried using the technics with a numark m6 mixer. Going into the phono input on the mixer I can get the music to play but with a loud hum (I connect to mixer with turntable groundwire). If I try to use the pre-amp and go into the line input on the mixer I can't get music.

Did I buy the wrong pre-amp? Any idea why I can't get clear audio using the numark's internal pre-amp? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom