Technics 1506 US - User Error or What?

timestar

Sorry for this long thread but need help. Just sold my beautiful Technics 1506 US. It was shipped to CA wrapped in bubble wrap and doubled boxed. Reels separate, spindles protected etc. Below is question from the buyer and my answers. Any ides about the red led lighting up?

Q from buyer:
Last night I tried setting up the tape deck and it was dead. When turned on, the VU meters lit up and a red LED in the read head area lit up. However, none of the controls on the right lit up, nor did they function. I had loaded a tape to test with. Is there something that I am missing?

My answer:
1. Just wondered, have you used RTR's before?
2. Did the red led come on before or after you loaded the test tape and tried to play?
3. The tape must be loaded correctly. See page 10 of the manual.
4. The dark magnetic side of the tape must be on the bottom and touching the heads when loaded.
5. The tape must not be loose on the heads or it will not play at all.
6. The microphone switch (# 23 on page 4 diagram) must be off unless recording with a mic.
7. Battery switch must be off on back of unit (see # 42 page 4 diagram). It was not on when shipped.
8. I assume receptacle voltage is 110 where you are in CA?

Any thoughts on the red led light question?

He might have to pull the tape taught so the tension arms float, the machine might think there is no tape loaded if the arms are down.

Yeah, I would ask him to pull down on the 2 tension rollers until he hears the clicks, then try the controls. Odds are the buyer hasn't loaded or tensioned the tape properly. Otherwise, maybe it is a fuse or the power supply. The red stroboscope light is supposed to be on so not sure what that question is about.

Back
Top Bottom