Technics 1X00/1X50 Series - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

The buttons don't move much, just a tiny amount but they do move.

I didn't take the covers off. What I did, as I recall, was to squirt some DeoxIT around the edge of the button and then let it sit for a while. Then I worked the buttons, changing speed until the one that had been stuck felt as free as the other one.

I suspect the only way to remove the button covers is to access them from inside the turntable.

John

I have a full set of photographs from a repair on the Technics switches including removal of said switches, total dismantling and cleaning. I can either post it here or create another thread and link it.

I have a full set of photographs from a repair on the Technics switches including removal of said switches, total dismantling and cleaning. I can either post it here or create another thread and link it.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1301 locally with a non-working 45 button. I'd be interested in seeing photos of the repair? Was it much of a challenge?

If you still have them, I would very appreciate if you could share them.

If you still have them, I would very appreciate if you could share them.

OK, here you go. This was my SL-1600mk2 switch repair. The silver plated contacts were heavily oxidized. I used silver (Silvo) metal polish on a cotton tip, then cleaned the switch parts in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.

So, desolder and remove the switches, carefully release the two plastic clips under each switch and dismantle each switch to the base components. Polish the inner contacts and the contact plate/dome.
Reassemble each switch and resolder. Easy.

switches (2).jpeg switches (3).jpeg switches (1).jpeg switches (4).jpeg switches (5).jpeg switches (6).jpeg clean (1).jpeg clean (2).jpeg

OK, here you go. This was my SL-1600mk2 switch repair. The silver plated contacts were heavily oxidized. I used silver (Silvo) metal polish on a cotton tip, then cleaned the switch parts in an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.

So, desolder and remove the switches, carefully release the two plastic clips under each switch and dismantle each switch to the base components. Polish the inner contacts and the contact plate/dome.
Reassemble each switch and resolder. Easy.

wow, thank you very much! I'm getting a 1410 Mk2 soon and want to restore it in every way to its original condition, your post will certainly help with that!

No problem. As you can clearly see, simply blasting the switch with De-Oxit will not in any way help in the long term, only serves to leave a messy residue and will not remove oxidation. A short term fix. Kind of like a banana peel in a noisy differential...

:)

Back
Top Bottom