Technics CD troubles

Vitavox

"vintage"- not old
I have a Technics CD player, (sorry I don't have the model # where I am) that won't "lock on" to the tracks. It either won't find any of the tracks, or, when it occasionally does, it will skip erratically when you try to play. Its a single drawer type. With the cover off, I can put in a disk, and if I gently drag my fingernail on the edge of the disk, the player will lock on and play fine. Seems the motor may be overspeeding? Is that possible? Does anyone know if this could be a relatively inexpensive adjustment, or is it toast.
PS I have cleaned it with a "cleaner" CD and gently shot canned air thorugh the mechanism to remove dust.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA
V

hi vitavox,

don't throw it yet. i'm not a technician but i do encounter such problems many times with my CD players and they're usually corrected. i just make some adjustments on focus and tracking trimpots located on the main board. others could probably give a more detailed advice.

Try lubricating the bearing on the top of the motor that spins the disc. Just one or two drops of light machine oil, like 3 in 1. Apply the oil with a syringe and don't get it all over the place.
Also clean the machined posts that the laser slides back and forth on (with alcohol). clean it really well, and then put a few drops of the same light oil on it.

Thanks for the thoughts. Will try the oil/cleaning first, then twiddle the pots, while listening.
BTW, Dr. Audio, I've seen you give this advice on other theads. (After I posted.) One thought, from my HVAC backgroud: 3 in 1 oil is NOT machine oil. It is a vegetable based lubricant. It is something we NEVER use to oil bearings on big motors. I know about the syrenge trick, for getting oil to bearings in tight places, or small fan motors that don't have oil ports. I would think a real machine oil, I can get it at the apliance repair parts house, but its also available from HD & Lowes as ceiling fan oil. Wouldn't that, in very small amounts, like a miniscule droplet, be abetter choice? Any specific reason you suggest 3 in 1? I do realize WD-40, et. al. are not lubricants.
V

I didn't know 3 in 1 is vegetable based! I have used it for years as a light oil with no problem, but now I'll go find a suitable light oil. The ceiling fan oil sounds good. Thanks for the info!

The best oil for motor lub now probably is a synthetic. Go buy a quart of motor oil like Mobil 1 or a cheaper lookalike at wallymart. Synthetic oil does not dry out and gum up like regular oil and is being recommended highly in my other hobby, model trains.

You may have good luck lubing a small motor with a small needle syringe. Funny I just tried to oil a cd drive motor this morning on a slow running motor. It did not help.

Charlie

After reading this thread I went out and bought some light oil that was NOT 3 in 1. It is LA-CO all purpose oil. I'll see how that works. I also though of trying Marvel Mystery Oil, which I think may be power steering fluid relabelled. When I worked at Hughes Aircraft the machinists used power steering fluid for thread cutting oil.
If by the CD motor you mean the motor that turns the CD itself, lubing the bearing won't help. The brushes and / or commutator either need cleaning or are worn out. If you look at the bottom of the motor, near the terminals there may be an opening you can inject some contact cleaner into. Try that and see if it rejuventates the motor. Often it only works for a month, but occaisionally it works longer. Eventually the motor will have to be replaced. www.mcmelectronics.com sells them.

Vitavox said:
3 in 1 oil is NOT machine oil. It is a vegetable based lubricant.
:yikes: And in July I lubed my Dual's platter bearings with this stuff! Probably gonna ruin the TT now...
Tom

Back
Top Bottom