Technics linear troubles...

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
I'm about to head over to that site with all the service manual downloads, but I thought I'd ask if this is a common problem for the linear SL-Q6... the player cuts off and returns the arm about five or ten seconds before the album is over. Am I just looking at an adjustment screw I'll find in the manual, or is this possibly a more complex issue?

Clean and lube, new tracking belt. Easy stuff first.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Clean and lube, new tracking belt. Easy stuff first.

I figured I would do all that, as well. I did it to the SL-5 and it plays just fine. BUt, this stuff shouldn't affect the point that it ends the record. Most players have a screw to adjust (but, of course, the Technics linears are a bit more complex than your average table!)

I figured I would do all that, as well. I did it to the SL-5 and it plays just fine. BUt, this stuff shouldn't affect the point that it ends the record. Most players have a screw to adjust (but, of course, the Technics linears are a bit more complex than your average table!)

Dunno if it uses an arm skew detector for end of play, but that would do it if tracking was wonky. Otherwise, debris around arm track light gate?

The tracking offset angle adjustment might help. I don't think there is a specific screw for the end detection. Set-down yes, take-off no.

Thnk montycat is right.. I didn't see end of record adj. and not much online about this model and honestly never seen one either. Looks pretty complex and wonder have you tried to scan the record then select last cut?

Like maybe the thing needs to calibrate itself? :scratch2:

I thought the lift off was a micro switch tripped by the arm as it moves down the track. Is it not right by the arm drive motor and worm gear?

I'll pull the lid and see if it's hitting the micro switch too early. I glanced over the service manual and didn't see any mention of adjusting this, so my guess it that I need to look elsewhere, as others have suggested with the arm adjustments and not start/stop adjustments.

Adjustments should stay put if not changed or something broke.

I have an SL-DL5 that does the same thing. Interestingly if I run the arm to it's inner limit prior to playing it will play the complete disc. Have never opened it up to look but would like to have it work right. Keep us updated if you find the cause. I'll do the same if I decide to open it.

Boy! Nothing like pics to see stuff when you don't have it in front of you so even though not orig unit it's a good idea of the mechanics.

I wonder if this unit would be affected from start of record.. only the one screw adjustment at start of record also determines end of record? Then no report back on can this unit scan the record? Have read this can take a long time but read you can pick your cut selection.

So again can you scan the record?

Unless I'm looking at it completely wrong that looks like the return sensing switch not end of record. It is depressed in the picture and the arm is at "home" position.

The record size is determined by the sensors below the platter. Notice the slots in the platter mat.

As far as I can remember there is not an adjustment for the start of the record position. The end of record "stop" is at the end of the arm rail.

I have an SL-DL5 that does the same thing. Interestingly if I run the arm to it's inner limit prior to playing it will play the complete disc. Have never opened it up to look but would like to have it work right. Keep us updated if you find the cause. I'll do the same if I decide to open it.

Yes! Mine played correctly when I moved the arm over and then back. Very interesting! Maybe they are correct that the end of rail microswitch needs to be looked at?

It could be just some stiction in the arm rail bushings that prevent it from moving just that last mm or so to activate the shut-off. Even my Harman Kardon ST-7 likes to get warmed up by sliding the arm across the range once or twice. It tracks better if I do this when I first use it.

Yes! Mine played correctly when I moved the arm over and then back. Very interesting! Maybe they are correct that the end of rail microswitch needs to be looked at?

Necroposting here.

My two cents: I see that there is an early end of record early lift-off issue with my recent gw find SL-QL5 even after I relubed and did all the adjustments. It seems if I press start and forward queue to near the end it will not lift off early, but if it plays an LP from the beginning it will have the end of record issue. This would appear to be an issue with the tonearm position tracking system. That system uses a multiple sector rotary optical shutter on the worm screw shaft to count rotations of the worm gear (and therefore measure accumulated arm travel). There is a specific check for this in the SM. That is to check the pulse on IC 401 (waveshaper input on op amp IC) pin 9 for width and amplitude while the arm motor is rotating. The way to start in on that is to watch it for noise and possible wave shape issues. However in general if you consider that IC is working (after verification) properly and the control IC 301as well, then it sort of has to be an issue of the signal quality from the opto-detector and interrupter or there is something in the system like backlash or stiction in the bearings of the arm system that causes extra pulses on the edges of the shutter windows. The manual checks seems to assume that IC 301 will not be a problem in this regard or unlikely assuming that you can play a record at all (arm motor rotates). By contrast the SL-M3 sm includes this check as an extension of the arm motor non-rotation problem after more basic check of the arm motor drive have been perform without any faults. And also the SL-M3 monitors arm position the same way. Problems with the signal from the arm position photo detector (not the arm angle detector) could be anything from the wrong grease to worn gears in spite of the manual dwelling on replacing electronic components. Right now I am working on the idea that the optical shutter and worm gear are subject to some bounce in terms of the cogging of the DC brush motor. This motor is not motion controlled (speed/torque) without using feedback. I have seen that when the motor stops, it may be subject to some reverse motion pull back into its magnetic permanent magnet poles within the mechanical play of the system (the tone arm does not move back - only the worm gear within its mechanical play). If this randomly pulls the shutter back across the transition edge then an extra pulse will be sent to the controller an interpreted as forward movement of the tonearm that did not occur, making it think that the arm traveled further than it did. There is ample opportunity for this to happen repeatedly as the arm move across the record during play mode since the motor starts and stops incrementally throughout. These glitches will accumulate in the counter and register that the tonearm reaches the end of the record before it actually does. I am working on the theory that a new tonearm motor belt with the correct tension will minimize the worm gear stop cogging effect by increasing the static tension in the bearings. It may require a stiffer grease in the worm gear also. I do not see the required precision in this mechanism to prevent this with minimized gear backlash alone. I'm not at the point of giving conclusive answer yet, since I am still working on it. So right now I am looking to get a new belt (SCX2.9) and try to figure out what grease Technics used on the worm gear. I think superlube might be too thin compared to Technics yellow grease. But that is a tough one to figure out. There's nothing patently wrong with using Superlube, but it might not be helping with this issue. Also without overstating the obvious, a stretchy or relaxed belt could cause pull back of the worm gear and shutter when the motor stops as its own problem. Needless to say that will also interact with motor cogging. So a new belt has to be the first step. I know someone mentioned that. The cogent point is that there is no end of record limit switch or sensor in this design. It simply does not exist.
- edited to correct sm manual check info.

Last edited:

Update: cause of problem found. Belt replacement did not help. I deduced the problem with the position tracking as increased commutator/brush resistance due to long term oxidation of the commutator (arm motor). I reached this conclusion experimentally by cleaning the commutator and observing the results in the unit – no fancy probing and measuring.

This primarily happens when the motor has not been used for a very long time or possibly related to the environment it was stored in. In this case the history is not known. The commuter surface has only slight wear, if any, on brush paths and no evidence of arcing/sparking on edges. No significant carbon residue on brushes.

Grease: I have a fairly heavy amount of grease on the rail and it works fine now. Light grease on the worm gear. But the choice of lube is another topic at this point. I don’t have the concerns about grease I had mentioned above related to the early auto return, unless it’s the 30 year old original grease.

Warning - a long read follows:

(Disclaimer: much of what follows has an element of conjecture in order to explain what is happening regarding the malfunction. It’s very difficult to actually observe all of the cause and effect). The increased resistance of the commutator affects low speed motor operation more than high - uneven start and stop under load - complicated by the fact that the motor is almost over-geared for the low speed operation during arm angle tracking. That is generally supported by torque - speed - efficiency curves. The servo does not control the motion well under these commutator resistance conditions and a low level of position tracking errors occur - around 5 % in my case. It follows the arm angle ok, but the computer loses track of where the arm is positioned such that the arm has not traveled as far as the sensor output would indicate. That is due to something like intermittent bounce on the window edge timing within the backlash of the worm gear. It does not affect the arm angle so much since the servo is able to maintain it albeit less smoothly just not to a degree that the eye can detect at the arm. As I mentioned earlier I did see the worm gear moving backwards briefly at the end of a forward movement under servo operation.

The exact momentary reaction that causes this is not entirely clear. But I can imagine the motor stalling right before the set point is reached as it comes near (during deceleration). Then the reaction of the servo bumps it enough to get it going again which creates an overshoot of the set point (hysteresis in motor stop/start). But the exact reaction that causes the worm gear to bounce back is not clear. I think it might be coincidental detent torque. Over gearing is a major point in this scenario. But they had to use one motor and gearing for all arm modes and the arm position sensor resolution is limited in the same sense.

I can’t say if something like the SL-15 escapes this age related problem with the arm position errors and programmed play track location because it seems to have the larger motor of earlier designs. Note that it uses a position switch for end auto return like the early designs (SL-10, etc, and SL-QL1 as mentioned previously in the thread). The elimination of the end switch is a bit of a curiosity. They don’t use one in some fully auto pivot arms either where it’s done by opto sensor integration. I would guess it is purely cost related.

I hope this keeps a few of these out of the dump.

One thing I have to add:
The servo gain has to be checked before the motor. At least the sm setting of it. If the gain is lower than it should be it could bring out the bad motor behavior or make it worse even with the same degree of resistance in the commutator. If the servo gain is reduced there will be less proportional drive for the same correction of angle, which limits the ability to overcome the commutator resistance for a higher percentage of time for a given correction. Another way to say that is the damping is increased. One of my experiments to find an answer was to use no grease on the worm. This actually decreased the error rate on the position sensor by decreasing damping, but it did not eliminate it. The original thought I had was that it was under damped. But I got sent sent in the opposite direction when I messed around with grease.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom