Technics M45...

nice looking cassette deck :thmbsp: is it direct drive ? it looks similar to my recently acquired m270x

Is that a Realistic SCT-42 right above the Technics? I bought one of those new way back, and it was sure a workhorse deck. Loved the "quick reverse" feature on it. Mine needs new belts.

That M45 is nice looking. Direct drive would be nice - no belts to turn to goo?

Rob

I've got that same deck. Those are pretty nice decks, and very well made. Have you lifted it recently? It ain't light.

The M45 is the entry level deck of a series spanning through M-45, M65, M75, M85 (later upgraded to MkII and later renamed M88 to also support metal tape) and top of the range being the M95.

In terms of looks, the M45 lacks the detachable glass faceplate over the cassette door, the chromes toggle switches and thin and long transport switches. But it's a decent deck and plays cassettes well.

I have one, as well as an M65, M85, M88 and M95. The M75 appears to be rather rare. It's identical to the M85, only difference being it's FG-Servo rather than Quartz Lock.

The M45 is the entry level deck of a series spanning through M-45, M65, M75, M85 (later upgraded to MkII and later renamed M88 to also support metal tape) and top of the range being the M95.

In terms of looks, the M45 lacks the detachable glass faceplate over the cassette door, the chromes toggle switches and thin and long transport switches. But it's a decent deck and plays cassettes well.

I have one, as well as an M65, M85, M88 and M95. The M75 appears to be rather rare. It's identical to the M85, only difference being it's FG-Servo rather than Quartz Lock.

Thank you for the information. I have not tried it yet.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

Is that a Realistic SCT-42 right above the Technics? I bought one of those new way back, and it was sure a workhorse deck. Loved the "quick reverse" feature on it. Mine needs new belts.

That M45 is nice looking. Direct drive would be nice - no belts to turn to goo?

Rob

It may be, I know it is a Realistic..Needs belts most likely too.:scratch2:

UPDATE: It is a SCT-42, according to my records it does not play when the button is pressed.

Thanks,

Last edited:

I think you are falling slightly short . The M45 is a two head deck, whereas the others are three head, Right. But, Being a Direct drive deck, I wouldn't call it a entry level. It is regarded as one of the best two head decks because its transport exceeds some of the three head decks.

I think you are falling slightly short . The M45 is a two head deck, whereas the others are three head, Right. But, Being a Direct drive deck, I wouldn't call it a entry level. It is regarded as one of the best two head decks because its transport exceeds some of the three head decks.

Yeah, I would not call it an entry level deck either despite it being a two head. For me, Technics entry level deck from that era would be the M205 which is still an okay deck all things considered.

rsm205catalog.jpg

Last edited:

Actually, only the RS-M95 from that list is a three-head deck, the rest are all two-head decks - RS-M85, RS-M88, RS-M75, RS-M65, RS-M45 and others (RS-M02, RS-M270X) sharing the same basic DD mechanism design from RS-M85.

I have in my collection 2 x RS-M85, RS-M88 and RS-M02. The best mod for these decks is a new sendust head (say, from Nakamichi BX-1/2/100/150 etc). After such a replacement these decks sound just awesome on playback and record much better. SX heads from that time is what really let these decks down.

Alex

Last edited:
Actually, only the RS-M95 from that list is a three-head deck, the rest are all two-head decks - RS-M85, RS-M88, RS-M75, RS-M65, RS-M45 and others (RS-M02, RS-M270X) sharing the same basic DD mechanism design from RS-M85.

I have in my collection 2 x RS-M85, RS-M88 and RS-M02. The best mod for these decks is a new sendust head (say, from Nakamichi BX-1/2/100/150 etc). After such a replacement these decks sound just awesome on playback and record much better. SX heads from that time is what really let these decks down.

Alex

You're right, I was temporally confused about which decks are two headed and three headed.

Nice to know that about the heads. Did you replace them without any further change to the circuitery or to the mechanism? Do they fit right into its place??

Yeah, I would not call it an entry level deck either despite it being a two head. For me, Technics entry level deck from that era would be the M205 which is still an okay deck all things considered.

rsm205catalog.jpg

I think I have one of these too! Good to know it is a contender!

Technics makes a fine Cassette deck. Most of my decks are (2) HD.

Thanks,

Interesting! Any idea where to buy those Nak heads?

You're right, I was temporally confused about which decks are two headed and three headed.

Nice to know that about the heads. Did you replace them without any further change to the circuitery or to the mechanism? Do they fit right into its place??

Yes, these Nakamichi sendust heads are quite similar in parameters to the Technics SX and don't require changes in the circuitry - only usual azimuth, PB level, REC level and bias adjustments. I take these from old 2-head Naks - usually they OK to use with a standard 2-point mount. Another option, especially if you only plan to use the deck as a playback only is to use amorphous heads from Aiwa AD-F370/F470/F700 or similar. I plan to try soon a head from Aiwa AD-F700 in one of my Technics RS-M85 decks.

Alex

the Technics M275x has an amorphous head.
the M270x had the SX head. Isnt that a sendust head anyway?

Yes, these Nakamichi sendust heads are quite similar in parameters to the Technics SX and don't require changes in the circuitry - only usual azimuth, PB level, REC level and bias adjustments. I take these from old 2-head Naks - usually they OK to use with a standard 2-point mount. Another option, especially if you only plan to use the deck as a playback only is to use amorphous heads from Aiwa AD-F370/F470/F700 or similar. I plan to try soon a head from Aiwa AD-F700 in one of my Technics RS-M85 decks.

Alex

Just found one of the M45's at a local thrift and it's missing the input level knob as well as the tape select knob. Paid $5 so I took a chance. I powered it up in the thrift and everything seemed to function.

Hooked it up at home and plopped in a cassette. The output level needs to be up most of the way and is quite noisy when rotating and the right channel cuts in and out but when it's all the way up it seems fine.

Any thoughts on what the output level needs to fix and, even more importantly, where can I acquire the two missing knobs??

Last edited:
Just found one of the M45's at a local thrift and it's missing the input level knob as well as the tape select knob. Paid $5 so I took a chance. I powered it up in the thrift and everything seemed to function.

Hooked it up at home and plopped in a cassette. The output level needs to be up most of the way and is quite noisy when rotating and the right channel cuts in and out but when it's all the way up it seems fine.

Any thoughts on what the output level needs to fix and, even more importantly, where can I acquire the two missing knobs??

Sounds like some basic cleaning of the heads and rec/play switch inside.

I have not opened mine up yet.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom