Technics Missaligned Headshell & Cartridge???

KLund1

Hi all,
I have a vintage Technics SL-1300 in very nice working condition. I can not get the head-shell/cartridge to align properly on the protractor I have. Please see picture. The headshell came with the turntable. But I am not 100% 'shure' it is the correct one for this model. The stylus tip is resting, centered on B. You can see how bad teh alignment is. The same offset result for position A. Or I might be using an incorrect protractor. I am not 'shure' which or both are wrong.
edit: I think this is a SH-98 headshell. Internet 'says' this should fit 1300, but I doesn't look like it here
Please, any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks
DSCN1434 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
There's more than 1 way to skin a cat, or align a cart.

The "Technics way" is to set the cartridge perfectly square in the headshell and move it to the position where the stylus tip is exactly 52mm from the end of the headshell, where the washer is (not the contact tips).

They make a gauge specifically to check this but it isn't necessary. And that is the correct headshell and doing it as I describe is very easy with that model.

This will produce a different result than the tool you have but don't worry about that. If you want to read more on the topic, search Stevenson or Baerwald alignment.

Thanks
I have downloaded and properly printed these:
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml
(Stupid Protractors, first picture/pdf on the page.)
And I get about the same results both.
Oh, I forgot to mention I'm using a basic Shure M97 cartridge.
There is not much 'adjustment room' in this headshell and cartridge combo. The heasdshell with it's only one screw has about 1 mm swivel. The cartridge just has 2 holes only, nothing to slide front to back.
Other thoughts or ideas?
Thanks again for a quick reply

Yup. I'm very familiar with that cartridge and headshell.

I suggest putting aside all of those protractors and templates and doing as I already described. You just need a ruler or caliper.

There is no perfect alignment technique. Technics method works as well or better than anything else and is dead simple.

Perhaps you don't understand how that particular Technics headshell works. Loosen the screw on the top of the headshell and then you can slide the cartridge forward and back. If you run out of adjustment room, remove the two screws holding the cartridge on and then take the top screw out completely (don't lose the small nut) and rotate the plastic 'sled' that the cartridge is screwed to 180 degrees. This gives you a bit more adjustment range since the mounting holes for the cartridge itself are offset from the center of the sled. Also make sure the screws you are using to mount the cartridge are not too long that they pass right through the sled and bind on the headshell body (leading to a cracked sled).

Andrew is completely correct ... it's 52mm or it's the alignment protractor ... but not both. I'd go for the 52mm as he suggests.

Is it me, or does the head-shell look crooked at the place connecting to the arm?

Could be an optical illusion, but it looks like the head-shell is pointing a little off-centre and to the right.

:idea::dunno:

Good point Peter (Van_Isle). I assumed he knew the purpose of that screw but perhaps not.

And, nines, I think it is an illusion partly because of the round platter below it.

Yes the headshell dose look off center. It could be and optical illusion, but you run a chance getting used equipment from the internet. I have had several SL-1xxx over the decades, and never had this much trouble. I do not recall seeing a tone arm/headshell 'bent' like this before. I could be my aging eye, but maybe not.
The headshell is also loose when the tone arm nut is tightened. While holding the tone arm firmly, the head shell can move in all directions, about 1.5mm at end of the end headshell. I checked the 2 screws under and near the head of the arm and the one closest to the pivot was a bit loose. I tightened it, and the head shell is in a bit better but there is still some movement. The offset is a bit better too. but little improvement on the protractor. I just ordered as 52mm gauge off evil-bay for a sl-1200. I assume it will work with a 1300.
I will take things apart and turn the cartridge base plate 180' and see what that dose.
Any other thoughts?
Again thanks everyone for you kind input.

Yes the headshell dose look off center. It could be and optical illusion, but you run a chance getting used equipment from the internet. I have had several SL-1xxx over the decades, and never had this much trouble. I do not recall seeing a tone arm/headshell 'bent' like this before. I could be my aging eye, but maybe not.
The headshell is also loose when the tone arm nut is tightened. While holding the tone arm firmly, the head shell can move in all directions, about 1.5mm at end of the end headshell. I checked the 2 screws under and near the head of the arm and the one closest to the pivot was a bit loose. I tightened it, and the head shell is in a bit better but there is still some movement. The offset is a bit better too. but little improvement on the protractor. I just ordered as 52mm gauge off evil-bay for a sl-1200. I assume it will work with a 1300.
I will take things apart and turn the cartridge base plate 180' and see what that dose.
Any other thoughts?
Again thanks everyone for you kind input.

Before you can align anything, you must address this.

There is not supposed to be any movement, -zero-.

Technics_040.jpg

This is supposed to be snug tight, no play at all.

Jonny Thanks.I ordered one of those, be here in a few days.
the_nines. I agree. Can you suggest links, or thread to demonstrate how to fix/repair this?
Many thanks everyone. I much appreciate all the help!

Its not the headshell. Technics turntables (others too) are designed around a Stevenson alignment. When you use the Technics gauge, it positions the cartridge so that the stylus has the correct overhang and when the cartridge is aligned perfectly with the sides of the headshell, its offset angle is aligned.

When you use an alignment other then the Stevenson (Baerwald, Lofgren B) the cartridge will (and should) look crooked on the headshell. These other alignments have different overhangs and offset angles.

Dig?

And that particular version of the Technics headshell doesn't allow the cartridge to be crooked in the headshell enough to use any other alignment than the Technics original.

I understand now about not using my protractor with this headshell. I have order a Technics gauge that should arrive soon.

But I think my new problem is that this headshell can move about 1.5mm in left and right, and clockwise and counter clockwise after the tonearm nut is tightened as viewed from the end of the headshell. As the-nines noted above. there should be no movement. I have tighten as best I could the screws under the tonearm. But I'd like to remove the tonearm, and take that section apart for a closer inspection. But I can not find anything about how to remove this arm. only a lot about 1200 arms, and they are not similar as from what I can see.
I am also concerned about how the headshell looks like it is bent to the right. I might the the headshell, or something wrong inside the connection. How knows what might have been done to it during it's previous life.
I do not have another headshell. But I see a lot of generic ones on evil-bay for about $10. I a bit unsure about those. Suggestions on getting a quality replacement without having take out a small loan from a bank?

First can you determine what is loose. Is it the barrel loose in the headshell , or the piece the barrel screws into loose on the tonearm ( like the photo in post #14 ) or the barrel not pulling tight up against that piece. Does the headshell retaining collar turn freely when tightening?

For a headshell I would look for a Technics piece because of the distance between the mounting surface for the cart to the barrel height is lower than most. If you use an aftermarket headshell you may need to shim the cart the achieve correct VTA.

I have a SL-1700 with that headshell and use a protractor to align the cart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom