Technics monster

zzagg74

hello
i have just received a technics su-vx800 dual mono amp from the bay.
i cant afford todays mono blocks or modern day dual mono amps . so after a bit of research i went for the technics.
as i already own a pioneer a-676 and a musical fidelity e100 i was curious if it could really be better?
i can see why its referred to as a monster it weighs 17kgs!!
whilst its almost the same width and hight as the pioneer its almost half the depth of the pioneer again.
i ve hooked it up to my mission 753 speakers and connected my musical fidelity e600 via xlr connections (yes this amp has xlr) and fired it all up and straight away a massive grin grew across my face.
i knew straight away how much better the technics is.
i cant get techy on it but i will say i have cds and lps ive had for 20 years + and im hearing stuff that was not there before and feeling more, its just more cleaner more refined in every way to my ears
so happy chappy here
has any one else had one of theses technics monsters?
what do you think?
i feel this is a beast that has some how slipped through when being praised and i recommend one or the su-vx900/920 :music:
not my pics but this is wht things look like

Attachments

• 753.jpg
    753.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 626
  • tech 1.jpg
    tech 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 662
  • tech 2.jpg
    tech 2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:
Congratulations!!! Great buy indeed!
I very recently purchased a fully serviced 1989 Technics SU-V900 (21kg,dual mono design). Am very pleased with it.. And I certainly agree,they sorta somehow slipped through the net/got overlooked,although they're quite rare.

I own a fully serviced, Technics SU-V8, and to me, it is the best sounding non-tube amplifier I have ever heard. And believe me I have heard a lot, LOL! I just hope these monster amps will get the respect they deserve. But that is just my two cents.:scratch2:
Glad to see some positive posts on Technics recently.
Enjoy your new beauty, zzagg74!

Wow that Integrated is very clean inside. Never heard one before but as far as it's physical state goes it sure as heck looks like it was well cared for.

* edited by moderator *

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's a great looking piece of gear. One I must admit to not being aware of at all. I'm so used to Technics gear being the rack stuff that the really fine pieces they did make get lost. Now I'm thinking I need to start looking out for some myself.

You hinted it had good sound. How about letting us know after you try it a few days and give us an update? I'd certainly appreciate it as I'm here to learn about all sorts of gear and it seems you've found a good one! Thanks for letting us know!

i have had my technics for a few days now and i have packed up the pioneer and the musical fidelity in to boxes.
this su-vx800 is truly a gem, the sound is everything i want its like a mix of the aforementioned amps, i have the deep rich sound whilst still being clear if that makes sense.
i love the look of the amp it looks serious and its powerful i cant have the volume past 10 oclock
it still sounds clear and detailed at low volumes and the build quality is out of this world, all the knobs turn with that feel of quality even though the amp is 20 years old.
the amp was built to bi-wire so i am and with this amp i do hear a change in sound the hf is more airy and open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! I have an SU-VX920 - the mosfet brother of the su-vx800. The sound is mind-boggling :thmbsp:.

Some of you will notice that your posts are missing. That's because Wiggy was correct, despite the protests of several of the posters in this thread. A few of you were supporting Mr. Jones, but the need for your posts has been eliminated, so yours were removed in the cleanup. They were not out of line, just made redundant.

Thanks.

You may carry on with your regularly scheduled thread.

Nice looking amp!

I have the Class AA (?? what does that even mean?) cdp from that era, VERY good sound.

enjoy that beauty.

i have had my technics for a few days now and i have packed up the pioneer and the musical fidelity in to boxes.
this su-vx800 is truly a gem, the sound is everything i want its like a mix of the aforementioned amps, i have the deep rich sound whilst still being clear if that makes sense.
i love the look of the amp it looks serious and its powerful i cant have the volume past 10 oclock
it still sounds clear and detailed at low volumes and the build quality is out of this world, all the knobs turn with that feel of quality even though the amp is 20 years old.
the amp was built to bi-wire so i am and with this amp i do hear a change in sound the hf is more airy and open.

Agree with zzagg. Just bought my 2nd hand Japan made Panasonic SU VX800 Stereo Integrated Amp. and the sound just blew my mind. I never thought my Polk RtiA5 floorstanding speakers could sound this good.

The technician who restored the unit I bought said that Panasonic and Technics did a collaboration to develop this model, thus, you can see both brands using the same model. :D

Now I am proud and happy owner of the first stereo integrated amp I ever bought. Now I can play my LPs not from the Onkyo AVR TX737 but directly from the SU VX800. Enjoying my music more and more each day...

The good Technics stuff is really good good stuff. I've had a couple different New Class A models of theirs and WOW.

The new home of my Panasonic SUVX-800, matched with the Polk Floorstanding Speakers. Now spinning BASIA's Time and Tide Album

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom