Technics P28 Stylus Options?

You're welcome. Thanks for suggesting the 4718-DEE stylus. I want as much as anyone to find the good, no-apologies-necessary aftermarket styli, because we know they're out there, but I'm not expecting to find many in the same category as the Pickering/EVG 4606-DEX (I'm trying out the Carole's Needles version now). I still have hope.

Speaking of the 718-DHE, yes, it's good, but for what it costs, it should be. I can't help wishing it were $15 cheaper. Oddly, LP Gear doesn't sell a Vivid Line version, and it would be interesting to see what a maximally-extended line-contact stylus would do for the Technics body.

Question on the HyperElliptical:

Can you check if the cantilever is the same length and angle as the standard Elliptical 718-DEE? The reason I ask is, I have two HE's and the cantilever is noticeably different than the standard Elliptical and being Pmount - I wonder how this could possibly render the proper T4P spec?

Oddly enough, I looked at Jico's domestic site (read: Japanese site) and they list the tracking force of the HE as 1.5 to 2.0. The regular elliptical at 1.25. I emailed them about this and they told me the tracking force of the HE was NOT a mistake. So something is fishy. Also, I should mention that without any adjustment, the HE tracks heavier than the 718-DEE Elliptical - if my 'table is set to 1.25, the HE will track at 1.35.

JQ

I'm still trying to find a decent not so expensive stylus for my P22. Is the TTN hyperelliptical they sell no longer manufactured by Jico? Most of their aftermarkets are Bliss branded now. Is it possible to still buy the Jico Hyperelliptical? Jico's official site only sells the basic ellipticals, conicals, and the SAS. I actually have a Vivid Line stylus for my P22 but i do not like it, it's very sibilant. The lpgear rep told me it is the same stylus as the Hyperelliptical they sell.

TTN does however still carry the Jico Shibata, has anyone tried it for their technics p-mounts? I'm really curious as to how it sounds. But at the cost it is, might as well spend the extra $30 for the SAS.

I have, and really like, the old HE stylus TTN was selling. They haven't changed the description, but if they ever did mention JICO before, they don't now. I suggest writing them to see what the story is. It's possible they can't legally tell you who actually assembled the stylus, or out of whose parts. But what matters is the final product. If no one volunteers to try out the "Bliss" HE, you may have to take one for the team. I've found them willing to help customers who aren't quite satisfied. I don't know of another affordable line-contact stylus for the Technics p-mount, but someone else might have found one.

My one (and final) experience with a VividLine matches yours.

Last edited:
Late poster here....been researching the Technics/National Panasonic TP4 carts I have a number of TP4 carts and am a fan of them. I use them with a Technics headshell that is designed specifically for TP4 carts and they sound amazing. I am just wondering if there is any difference between the p23, p24, p28 cartridge bodies, or for that matter, if there are more P series cartridge bodies that are the same, but differ in sound only from using a different styli. I guess my question is: will a specific stylus sound the same in each of these cartridge bodies? Also...if so....what ones are basically the same? The reason that I ask is that I see some available and am wondering if they might be worth using with a NEO SAS stylus? How might they compare with an EPC 310MC?

Got a response from Needlestein on this that pretty much confirmed what I already thought might be true. These Technics P-series TP4 carts are all similar bodied and will share styli. They are NOT in the same category as the the MC variants such as the EPC 310MC. Thus it is doubtful that putting a NEO SAS stylus on one will elevate the quailty of sound enough to justify the cost. There are lower price options for these carts which would be more cost efficient. Take a look:

https://www.turntableneedles.com/EP...-Cartridge-etc--our-Needle-718-D7_p_1331.html

There are a number of similar carts and styli options....some quite expensive. You can get a NEO SAS from Jico for 180 dollars as well. This price is cheaper than the more expensive options for high quality styli on Turntable Needles. You are the final arbiter of whether these options are truly viable or not. I would say that if you can get a decent HE stylus for on of these, for a decent price, then that it would be your best option. I see that one is available on TTN for 93 bucks. I will leave it up to each individual as to whether or not it is worth the price.

This goes against my experiences concerning the performance potential of these cartridges. The EPC-202 stylus puts this cartridge in an entirely different performance range and is highly sought after, However, it is rare to find nowadays. Whether it reaches the potential of a decent LOMC like the EPC-310 is purely subjective. I had the opportunity to hear both in my system. One of the reasons there is perceived value in these Technics p-mounts is the design features (such as laminated cores) are normally associated with higher end MM cartridge designs. The fact that Technics carried this throughout the range increases the perceived possibilities for upgrades. In other word, you don't have to seek out the top range cartridge body to get the most out of a stylus upgrade. I do not draw the conclusion that putting an SAS on a Technics p-mount will result in sonic nirvana. I have personally never heard this combination. All I know is that an EPC-23 or 28 with an EPS-202 stylus installed makes for an excellent combination.

It's funny this thread comes up again just when I had been considering picking up the SAS. The only thing stopping me is that I already have so many other great p-mounts with original NOS high end styli. I still might do it just to have an opportunity to review the SAS for the AK community. All I need is a little encouragement and some real interest from you folks on AK. I've done crazy things like this before ya know. (I purchased the entire range of Shure LT series p-mounts just to document them on AK).

Cheers,

Well.....now I am getting a little interested again. As I have stated earlier, I have a nice little collection of TP4 carts. (Shure v15v-p (SAS vn5mr and NEO SAS vn45he), Shure VST III -p (can use same styli), NOS Signet TK8LCp (the TP4 version of the AT 155lc, Azden P50VL , Empire 875 XLT (clone to Azden), Technics 310MC. Audio Technica TC150ep with an AT440mla stylus, NOS Stanton P100 ....just to name the bulk of them).
I use a Technics SH80s headshell to use these on a pivot arm turntable. My favorites, as I have seen others state, depend on what genre I am listening to as well as the quality of the pressing.
The laminated core of the Technics P series makes them interesting. I have never listened to one. They are fairy inexpensive so I guess I will pick one up and play with it. The problem is that based on Needlestein's previous post , I backed off the P-series and snagged an A&R P77 that I am going to experiment with using some Jico styli. Fun and games. I will still pick up a P series to have in my pocket and see if I can snag a stylus for it that is commensurate with its capabilities. Thinking there still might be more to come in this thread :)

Back
Top Bottom