Technics receivers, pre and post Panasonic?

Fuzzbuster

Addicted Member
Hi everyone... Fuzz here. I just picked up a Technics by Panasonic SA-300 which at first listed is a pretty nice unit. I previously had an SA-300 ( I think) which did not say "by Panasonic" on it as I recall. I remember being a bit underwhelmed by it. It didn't have a lot of detail... seemed sort of dull in comparison. I'm I crazy or has anyone else noticed this? Am I not remembering rightly? Was there a time when Tech ics was not under the Panasonic umbrella? One thing I am certain of is that the power transformer on the other one was mounted right to the wooden side cover. This one is not. There is a chassis piece this one is mounted to. Anyone please chime in.

After listening a little I'm noticing the highs can get a bit harsh sometimes. Fooling around with the treble control, the high filter and tweeter switch tames it a bit. Still have a couple other receivers I like better: an Onkyo TX-2500, Quadraflex 240R and Lafayette LR-3030 sound better to me.

Panasonic/Technics (and also JVC for the last 40 years) were always one: under parent company Matsushita's domain; since the branding "Technics" was established in 1971 as the audio division of -what was then called- National outside of the U.S.
It's like the same way "Integra" grew out of Onkyo. Unfortunately, the product line (for the most part) launches with the intent of being all exclusive and higher end above the other range of models...but: cost-cutting starts dictating corporate policy and the "high end" winds up being built in the same sweat shop right along the standard line (as it, indeed, happened with: "Integra"/Teac's "Tascam"/Pioneer's "Elite").
Technics seemed better at making source components (tape and turntables, specifically) than they ever did amps. One receiver of theirs I had for awhile was a SA-310 (from 1982). It always ran HOT for something as small as it was. The thermostatic control it had was very sensitive and would shut the output off if it was the least bit taxed (even during only normal listening for HOURS though, too). However, I do like the looks of the old SA-8500X quad unit they built and would buy one if I saw a good deal on it.

JVC was not part of Matsushita. They were a majority stockholder for a long time. I don't believe they shared engineering or production lines though. If so, they sure were built quite differently.

I had gifted an SA-5170 (25 wpc - generation before the 300) to someone for an office system and recapped it when one of the filter caps was trying to launch itself off the board. Before the recap it sounded a bit limited and rough but was better after the recap. But when driven hard it would get a bit harsh whereas an older Pioneer SX-535 (20 wpc) would be more graceful when pushed toward its limits. I picked up up an SA-5470 (65 wpc) and it seems better refined than its lower level sibling.

I shopped for my first receiver (Onkyo TX-2500 Mk II) back in the late 70s and got the impression that Technics was a notch below some of the other top brands such as Pioneer or even Onkyo. I think some they put pressed board bottoms on instead of metal panels. The Onkyo seemed better made and more appealing to me.

That's because receivers were never really a thing for Matsushita. They were either manufactured by third parties (some models in South America and Oceania) or else designed specifically for the US market. Ever heard of the "legendary" SA-1000? Never existed in Japan. In fact, you'll find almost no Technics receiver in the company's home country.
In all other fields Technics was equal or superior to other manfucaturers (remember that Panasonic was the biggest tech company in Japan by a large margin). The only reason why they are generally dubbed as "low-end" is because they made something for everybody; from the simplest entry-level amps to units that blew the competition out of the water. And because of the receivers.

For completeness about the title: Panasonic = Matsushita. They changed their company name in 2008 from "Matsushita Corporation" to "Panasonic Corporation." Technics, like Quasar, National, etc., is a brand name. The label "Technics by Panasonic" was, again, specifically created for the American market.

All Technics is Matsushita/National/Panasonic. MacPhantom is also right "Technics By Panasonic" is very much created for the American market. As Panasonic was a well known brand when Technics launched. Also, like most other Japanese gear goes, their best was made for Japanese Domestic Market sales. Technics is very rare in the sense that they sold their finest turntables, tonearms, open reel and cassette machines, and some nice power amplifiers, preamplifiers, and tuners here as the R&B Series.

IMG_20180621_095739355_LL.jpg
I love Technics SA 500 sa600 sa-700 sa-800 sa1000 from 1978 I have heard many receivers but these are my favorite..
Here are my
SA600 & SA800
They put my new Pioneer Elite to shame!

In general I have always had a good opinion of Panasonic products. Like Toshiba TVs back in the 80s and 90s they generally built things to last. Viewed Sony at the time as overrated. I think my brother is still using my old Toshiba 27 in TV I bought back in 1994 in his bedroom. Connecticut Light and Power electrocuted it in the late 90s and it only cost them $100 to fix it due to the protection they built in. The place charged $90 just to look at something. They had a MOV inside on the incoming AC limited the damage to it and a fuse. I know a neighbor that had a 35" Sony Trinitron it cost over $230 to replace blown power transistors at the same place. Apparently a hot wire crossed with the neutral on the feed to multiple buildings so repairs and replacements were on them.

I have a Sherwood S-7200 (early 70s) and when overhauling it I noticed it was loaded with the Panasonic CE capacitors and every circuit board had their old three diamond/triangle symbol next to a part number in the foil on the foil side of the boards. Leads me to believe Matsushita was the one building those Sherwoods in Japan, at the very least the board assemblies.

I am not knocking the SA-5470. It is a nice classy design and solid performer. Plenty of power at 65 wpc. Like some other brands such as Sherwood they get underrated in the market. People go nuts for the Pioneer, Marantz, McIntosh, Sansui, etc. That lets you pick up a solid performer for a lot less money when you go for the lesser brands that built a solid product.

Last edited:
I worked at a "Technics" retailer in the mid-70's during the transition from products being labeled "Technics by Panasonic" to just "Technics. It's all just marketing. Both brand names were part of Matsushita Electric a giant Japanese conglomerate. The parent company finally came to understand that the Panasonic name did not denote "hi-fi" in America so they dropped that part of the name and just went with Technics. There was no inherent change in quality.

I picked up an Onkyo TX-2500 a couple years ago at a local Goodwill for $10 cleaned it up and would say in my experience it was better than the later SA-5170. I gifted the Onkyo along with a $10 pair of Advent Baby IIs (same Goodwill - re-foamed and new cap) and CL acquired Polk SW10 for Christmas to the same person that uses the SA-5170 for her office. The Onkyo system was for home use.

I think my Scott 342-C would beat them both, if the judging is not based on style points. So little info on the uncommon HH Scott, US made, not far from Boston. Surprised how good it sounds after the overhaul which included recap and a number of replacement transistors. Being used to the Japanese built stuff, it was a bit of a different world in that unit.

I had an SA-5170, and I really enjoyed it.
It had a nice balanced sound to it.
It was also an uncommonly attractive receiver. Really pretty.
Technics really did a careful job with the design.
I sold it to a Technics enthusiast who drove a long way to buy it.
He really values it, which is nice.

In response to dly66: I have an Onkyo TX-3000, a few years older than the TX-2500, but about the same segment of the market.
It is a very nice receiver too.
I think mine is a bit stronger on the low-frequencies than the SA-5170.
It has substantially more peak power as well.
I cannot say it is 'better' though, just stronger on the the low end with higher max. power output.

I had an SA-5170, and I really enjoyed it.
It had a nice balanced sound to it.
It was also an uncommonly attractive receiver. Really pretty.
Technics really did a careful job with the design.
I sold it to a Technics enthusiast who drove a long way to buy it.
He really values it, which is nice.

In response to dly66: I have an Onkyo TX-3000, a few years older than the TX-2500, but about the same segment of the market.
It is a very nice receiver too.
I think mine is a bit stronger on the low-frequencies than the SA-5170.
It has substantially more peak power as well.
I cannot say it is 'better' though, just stronger on the the low end with higher max. power output.

I have an Onkyo TX-2500 Mkll that blows the SA-300 out of the water in every way. The bottom end is tigher, the highs don't get grainy like the Technics. Only 27 watts but it sounds a lot bigger.

I would say the SA-5170 is fine if you don't try to push it too hard. That is when it gets harsh. I have an odd shaped living room (galley kitchen makes it more like a U acoustically) with a stairway going downstairs (half wall divider) at the bottom end with Advent Legacy IIs so it can tax the small guys when you turn the volume up. Some of the smaller guys can handle the situation more gracefully than others. Interesting it seems the older SS designs seem to do better. It seems the two that were built during Nixon's first administration (2000A, 342-C) handle it the best. Hard to know exactly what their ratings would be, the FTC standardized the test procedure I believe in 1974 and dictated some advertising standards. Caused some existing designs to drop their power claims. I believe that is the same reason hp numbers on a bunch of cars went down the same year. A standard test procedure and advertising standard was developed there too. No more fudging on claims.

The art is finding combos that work. Some combos come alive, some end up just blah. My strategy has been get a few different ones, a number cheap needing some TLC, fix them up and recap them, spend some time with them decide the keepers and the weepers that can be sold on to others. Just sold the SA-5470 to a young guy from High Point. He has been taking an interest in audio and its an upgrade from an old thrift store console.

Back
Top Bottom