Technics RS-1700, with a few other goodies

hertzdonut

Press Play and Stand Back
I recently have been fortunate enough to add to the stable with this RS-1700. I'm the third owner, the original owner bought this and kept it as a backup for his main unit in his studio. The second owner listened to a little jazz, and did some recording of himself on the violin. (Every unit's got a backstory, right?) In other words, not a lot of wear and tear.

So, the heads are in great shape, everything works and sounds great. Looks awesome as well. Brakes either need a slight adjustment or new material, as they don't quite hold as tight as they should when hitting stop. But that's pretty much it at this point, short of recapping, etc.

The bonus goodies, as you can see, are not one, but two empty Technics reels, two empty Dokorder reels, a TDK Audua tape, and three sealed Maxell UD ("For Mastering Use") 35-180 tapes. He also threw in a few 7" Maxell tapes, which I forgot to include in the photo.

As this was a rackmount, there were no side panels, nor feet. I made those, using 5/4 Walnut (ending up at a shy inch). The interesting thing with these (as you will also see) is that the Technics cover has rubber bumpers that sit to the lower left and right, and contact the face on the unit. Rather than just cut the entire sides down to accommodate them, I made a "step", so that the sides are full depth below the bumper, and cut back above it.

Lastly, I made a guess about the dimensions of the feet, making them what I thought would look good and be rugged. I also bonded a thin material to the bottoms for grip. (Drawer liner material, I think)

I think I've reached my limit on decks, though. This one joins my Pioneer RT-909 and Akai GX-635D.

Pix? Maybe a few. ;) I'll break them into separate posts.

- Jeff

Wow, beautiful work! I really like the stepped side panels and the feet are probably better than the originals. Very nice indeed!

Wow, beautiful work! I really like the stepped side panels and the feet are probably better than the originals. Very nice indeed!

Thanks, audiojones, I appreciate that! This deck is quickly becoming my favorite--just don't tell my Akai or Pioneer!

Every old Technics deck I’ve looked into had some leaking caps and corrosion on many contacts. They sure clean up nice :)

What I like about the 1700 is you can have a great auto reverse 4T deck and with a headblock change have a great 2T deck.

Very cool reel to reel deck and a sweet find for sure along with all the goodies.

Maybe look for some original Technic NAB hub adapters along with a pair of rubber space adapters as well, to complete the original over all look.

Yes even though those Teac nab hub adapters work just fine, it's always good to have as much originality to a fine looking deck such as yours, just saying.

Thanks for posting and sharing.

Technics reel to reel origianl nab hub adapters.jpg
Technics reel to reel rubber nab hub adapters.jpg
Technics-Original-NAB-Adapter-für-Tonbandgerät-RS.jpg ORIGINAL-NAB-ADAPTER-REEL-SPACER-FÜR-TECHNICS-RS-1700.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, there is absolutely no need or reason to "Re-Transistor" a Technics unless there is a real problem.

Where the hell is this coming from lately???? Yes, AKAI's used certain troublesome transistors, but suddenly EVERYONE thinks ALL transistors need replacing or "upgrading".

JUST re-cap it!

Very cool reel to reel deck and a sweet find for sure along with all the goodies.

Maybe look for some original Technic NAB hub adapters along with a pair of rubber space adapters as well, to complete the original over all look.

Yes even though those Teac nab hub adapters work just fine, it's always good to have as much originality to a fine looking deck such as yours, just saying.

Thanks for posting and sharing.
Thanks, RTR, I appreciate it! It’s funny you mention the original hubs and spacers. A pair of both popped up on eBay recently, price was reasonable...and I came close to pulling the trigger. Changed my mind at the last second. *shrug* Who knows, maybe I’ll feel differently if/when another set catches my eye. Thanks again for the kind words!

- Jeff

Jeff, there is absolutely no need or reason to "Re-Transistor" a Technics unless there is a real problem.

Where the hell is this coming from lately???? Yes, AKAI's used certain troublesome transistors, but suddenly EVERYONE thinks ALL transistors need replacing or "upgrading".

JUST re-cap it!

Tinman, that’s good to hear! I admit, everything I’ve worked on I’ve done both, just thought that was usual preventative maintenance. But hell, less work is always a good thing. Especially if it’s unnecessary!

Thanks for the heads-up!

- Jeff

It’s funny you mention the original hubs and spacers. A pair of both popped up on eBay recently, price was reasonable...and I came close to pulling the trigger. Changed my mind at the last second. *shrug* Who knows, maybe I’ll feel differently if/when another set catches my eye.

Although the Technics NAB adapters would make the RS-1700 match the manufacturer's advertising photos, those adapters seem to be similar to the Pioneer PP-220A adapters which reportedly have problems holding up over time. The adapters that I use on my RS-1506 are made by Nab Shop. These are all metal and are designed to automatically center the reel. They are available in a number of colors and styles from this website:

http://www.nab-shop.com/virtuemart?page=shop.browse&category_id=1

Not knowing what price you considered reasonable for the Technics adapters and spacers, you might want to explore this option since these adapters look great and will last forever.

Dave

DSCN1802f.jpg

Very nice! Excellent work on the sides and feet. It's a beautiful machine.

Onebean

Thanks, Onebean, nice of you to say! Even without the panels and feet, the machine just has "that look". That awesome, awesome look. (Let alone the build and sound quality) I feel very fortunate to be an owner.

Although the Technics NAB adapters would make the RS-1700 match the manufacturer's advertising photos, those adapters seem to be similar to the Pioneer PP-220A adapters which reportedly have problems holding up over time. The adapters that I use on my RS-1506 are made by Nab Shop. These are all metal and are designed to automatically center the reel. They are available in a number of colors and styles from this website:

http://www.nab-shop.com/virtuemart?page=shop.browse&category_id=1

Not knowing what price you considered reasonable for the Technics adapters and spacers, you might want to explore this option since these adapters look great and will last forever.

Dave

That was one of the reasons why I just didn't hit the "Buy It Now" button. I was familiar with the basic construction, the Teacs certainly grab better. (Not as well as my Akai hubs, though) The reasonable-to-me pricing on the Technics were all four pieces (two hubs, two spacers, all original) for $60.

I love those Nab Shop hubs, and they come with a free cat. ;)

- Jeff

Hi. I just purchased an upper end Technics RS-1506 reel to reel that is in near mint condition. It was originally purchased overseas and has a European plug with a US adapter on the end of it. Label on the power cord shows 125v. Voltage selector on back is set to 110v. Looks like the unit works fine but there is a slight fluctuation in the speed, so the recordings sound awful. The last time I encountered this symptom was when I purchased a used European Technics SL-1200 turntable; even with a power converter, there was that fluctuation thing with the speed. Is it a frequency thing? I don't see a switch anywhere where I can change the frequency. What would happen if I changed the voltage selector to 125v like the label on the power cord shows? Is there anything I can do other than sell it overseas on eBay? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, O

Back
Top Bottom